Micra Reflector alternatives

mccavazos

Enlightened
I actually posted this a few months ago, but I never got a stern answer.

After fiddling with my S017XA, and still getting negative results, I was wondering what other reflector choices their are. While browsing KJ's flashlight gallery I came across this pic http://www.obaq.tv/cpf/images/McCapsule_Longbow.jpg
(I am not going to post the actual picture without KJ's approval.) And I was wondering what reflector is in the Micra. It looks textured. What reflector is that? Where can I get one? IS there someone that could sputter a S017XA? I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Chris

chrisse242

Enlightened
I don't think there is another reflector that will fit. Maybe KJ sputtered his?
By the way, I shipped your sheath on saturday, just forgot to pm you...
Hmm, you said you're using the McCapsule didn't you? I do that too, but due to my bad skills in modding mine won't screw all the way down. Maybe this is why my so17xa works perfectly. Maybe you could try to find some kind of spacer to go between the lights body and the McCapsule?

Chrisse

mccavazos

Enlightened
Thanks for shipping the holster! Hmm thats a good idea on the McCapsule...I put my stock capsule away, is it taller? I got an oring that was the same diameter as the S017XA at the top and put that between reflector and the UCL, and that jammed the relflector in the light quite well, and stopped the rattle and pressed it on the LED very tight. There is still some inconsistancy in the center of the beam...which is why i would like a sputtered reflector.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sputtering the reflector isn't going to correct a bad focus. It may blend the beam to a point that it will cover it up, but you are going to sacrifice performance.

I wouldn't sputter the reflector either. The IMS reflectors were designed to be used, as they are, in conjunction with a luxeon high dome. Kj may have chosen to sputter his to attain a desired effect. The fact that the light in the link you posted is a 5W may have had something to do with that.

I'd try another reflector.

chrisse242

Enlightened
I guess what Chop is saying is "use another so17xa", yours may be defective. I know we mentioned that before, but I'd still recommend having a closer look at the Luxeons dome again. I had one that had a mark where someone (not me of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif) hit it with the tip of a soldering Iron. Barely visible, but it influenced the beam a lot.

Chrisse

chrisse242

Enlightened
One more thing on the McCapusle, Don said somewhere that the Pelican reflectors for the PR-Head needed to be different when using the stock Capsule versus the McCapsule. Therefore it seems quite possible that the so17xa won't work properly with a McCapulse that is screwed all the way down. This could be what caused the bad focus on your first attempts, and while trying to make it better you might have damaged the reflector so that it now won't work correctly. So trying another so17xa might be the way to go.

Chrisse

mccavazos

Enlightened
Alright, i think that I'll order another SO17XA and try that. I think that the McCapsule is slightly shorter than the stock capsule. I dont see anything on the dome of the Luxeon, I did just notice that there is a tiny peice of styrofoam on the reflecor that might be causing a problem right now, but i dont have any compressed air with me right now.