Everlife Flashlight (saw on informacial)

MaStAViC

Newly Enlightened
Half an hour ago, I saw this flashlight called EverLife on television. I was shocked to hear of it, and it just seemed too good to be true. I then thought of this forum, which I have only visited once before (someone redirected me here from FatWallet.com, saying it's the best flashlight forum on the Internet), and am eagerly awaiting a professional answer.

The flashlight's official Web site is (I think): http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/everlife_flashlight.html?gid=TOOL_OUTDOOR_PET

Here's some information on it:
The EverLife Flashlight uses no batteries or bulbs. Instead it uses your energy and induction to produce a bright light using efficient LED technology. Just shake the light for about 30 seconds and the EverLife Flashlight will provide about 5 minutes of light. During prolonged use it can be shaken for 10-15 seconds every 2 or 3 minutes giving you an unlimited supply of light.

The EverLife Flashlight requires no maintenance. You can leave it in your car, home, boat or RV for a long time and it will still be ready to produce light when you need it. The bright LED will last for thousands of hours and provide a lifetime of service. Actually it should never need replacement.

Hear are some great features of the EverLife Flashlight:
* Super Bright Blue/White LED
* Never Needs Batteries
* Never Needs Bulbs
* Waterproof
* Floats In Water
* Visible For Up To One Mile
* Great For Camping, RVs,
Boats, Emergency Kits

Includes:

* Regular EverLife Flashlight
* Mini EverLife Flashlight

Please let me know if this is just too good to be true! Any information will be helpful, thanks! =)

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Hi MaStAViC, welcome to CPF.

I can't give you a professional answer, but I do have a shake light (not an Everlife brand one).

The ad you saw is pretty much true, you shake the light 90+ times and the magnet inside the torch moves through a coil and generates electricity which is stored in a capacitor. This is usually enough to power an LED for a few minutes.

While they do work as advertised, the beam from one of these lights is pretty dim compared to just about any other battery powered light - "superbright" might be an overstatement. Bright enough to find your way in a completely dark room, not really good for much else (IMHO).

Also, the beam progressively gets dimmer so that after a minute or two, it's VERY faint.

Drawbacks aside they are usually pretty inexpensive and make great gifts for kids - they love them (and they're unbreakable and the parents don't need to shell out for batteries).

As your backup backup backup light for when all other decent lights myseteriously fail, I suppose one could come in handy.

MaStAViC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replying so quickly. The three problems that you have pointed out seem to be that they're not that bright, that they dim out fairly quickly, and that they require a lot of shaking before they can be used. Three very big problems, in my opinion. I'll continue to do more research on this item. I appreciate you sharing your input on this =)

If anyone has this EverLife (it's also called EverLast, I just found out) item, please do share your opinions! Thanks!

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welecome to CPF (no go run and hide your wallet)

I have a couple of shake lights (for my kids to play with). If you are looking for a USEABLE (ie semi bright. can see things further than 3 feet away) light stay away from these, they are only usefull to give to your kids so they don't take your lights and suck all the batteries out of them when they play with them. even for kids they are useless I've come to find out because it takes too much work shaking the blasted things for 15-30 min of useless light.

If I didn't buy them for my kids I NEVER WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THEM they are now somewhere in the black depths of the toy box.

doug

MaStAViC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, Doug.

I am not really disagree with either of your input, but (maybe I'm just trying to be a bit optimistic here) would there be a chance that this EverLife/EverLast one is better than the typical shake lights? I mean, this is the first time that I have seen a shake light on a commercial/informacial. Any chance at all? Just looking for a bit of hope, because I would love a nice shake light... hehe.

Thanks!

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well..
All I can say is to follow the CPF motto: if you can't decide buy it then tell us about it.

doug

CPFMan

Newly Enlightened
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have you heard of the "AIT Nightstar 2"? Same concept as the Everlife but much better (IMHO). Flashlight Reviews gave it a four (4) Star rating.

Hope I'm much help... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mykall

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CPFMan said:
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have you heard of the "AIT Nightstar 2"? Same concept as the Everlife but much better (IMHO).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree. In addition to being brighter and much
better executed all the way around, the Nightstar
also has repelling magnets instead of rubber butts
that keep the magnet from slamming the ends. Much
smoother operation.

I have to agree w/ most CPF'ers that as a flashoholic
in the led/lithium age it's difficult to justify carrying
this flashlight for anything but fun. I guess it
could be a last resort fail safe but as was mentioned
it's not very bright. With LED/lithium flashlights
that can be stored for 10 or more years and can run
for days continuously it's just difficult to
be enthusiastic about this light.

MB

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen these Everlife/Everlast lights in action before. Don't mean to knock off anyone here, but actually the price they're sellng them for is quite a ripoff if you don't mind me saying. These are definitely made in China types, and I've seen the exact same ones selling here at the roadside stalls for around $5 or so.
As many have mentioned, the output is not that great, and doesn't hold the charge that well. We were out on a late hike once and this girl had one of these. Less than 10 minutes into the hike, I offered her my Splashlite Led, which was brighter than the Everlife light, and no shaking required! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course she took the Splashlite, esp since it was so much smaller anyway!
IMHO its good for a cheap, emergency light (any light is better than none), and at the end of the day you get what you pay for... For $19.95 I think you might as well get the wind-up light from 'DaGunn' in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, I have one of these, and I think its brighter than the Everlife one too. Besides, if you have a Nokia cellphone, you can use it to charge up your phone as well... at least with a lot of winding beforehand, of course... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a battery-less flashlight that requires minimum effort for maximum light, try one of these. I have one and I really like it. I know CromagNet has one too, and he likes it also. Well worth the money.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
If you want a battery-less flashlight that requires minimum effort for maximum light, try one of these. I have one and I really like it. I know CromagNet has one too, and he likes it also. Well worth the money. [/quot

I definately second the recommendation of the Illunminator over the Shakelight. I have handeled bothh. Shop around for the Illuminator - My GF just got one at WalGreens (chain drugstore) for $15!!

Do a search on the reviews forum - there is a breif comparison between the two.

EDIT: Click here.

mykall

Enlightened
Finally saw the commercial/infomercial for that light.
That appears to be the exact same Chinese made light
that has appeared as the "Forever flashlight" and the
"Hummer" etc.

Stainless may be right about the crank type of light,
but I can tell you I've got a Nightstar and it's a
much better shake light than that "Hummer", "Everlife"
"Forever" clone, and it's not that much more, especially
if you want to keep it as a fail safe light.

Jus thought I'd throw that in.

MB