Surefire EL1 size comparisson to Longbow Micra

Bagheera

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys,

I'm trying to find an more powerfull replacement for my PeakLedSolutions 7 LED McKinley flashlight which I really love because of the minimal size.

I had an Longbow Micra and liked the output but found it just to big for normal in pocket carry so I sold it.
How does the new Surefire E1-L Outdoorsman compare sizewise to the Longbow Micra could somebody perhaps post an picture with the 2 of them along each other.

I saw that PeakLedSolutions just releaed a 1 Watt Luxeon light which to me is just the McKinley body with the 1 Watt Luxeon head but NO WAY am I going to pay $119.95 for it, that is just to expensive for what it offers in my opinion, I'd rather get an SF E1-L and have enough money left to get myself 15-20 extra 123 batteries.

Is there another small 1 Watt of 3 Watt Luxeon light that uses one 123 3 V lithium battery that is as small as possible but has a good beam ? and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Any help is welcome, best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

scudinc

Enlightened
The E1L is a bit longer than the Micra. If you want a shorter light, your options are all going to be pretty expensive, with the exceptions being the Orb Raw and the Jil-Lite, both of which run on CR2 batteries and cost about $80.

pokkuhlag

Enlightened
Re: Surefire EL1 size comparisson to Longbow Mic

Hi there, fellow dutchman. If you don't mind paying 128 dollars, I would recommend HDS Basic 42.
Why? It takes 123 AND R123, you know 123's are expensive here, so you can use R123 protected or unprotected to save money. Also you have 4 different light lvls of your choice, that means it can give you extra runtime if you need it. And I would recommend a reflector over KL1 optics, cause sidespill is very handy. Also HDS EDC is the same size micra (sorry). You have to ask the HDS owners though. Even though you cannot find any reviews for basic 42 yet, I think it has be less throw as SF E1L. Also I forgot to mention E1L can also handle R123, but it doesn't say it can protect unprotected R123 cells.

pokkuhlag

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif got any pics for us? For size comparison?
Edit found some pics from matrixshaman(thanks for your approval) in the HDS thread:
ult60.jpg

ult60a.jpg

Grubbster

Enlightened

May not be what you are looking for, but you might want to consider a Q3 modified by some of the people here with a TWOJ led. They are very bright and half the cost of the others. Easy to carry and you can use the rechargeable 123s as well.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Micra is smaller. But you should bet a micra with clicky, it is alot smaller.

-David

pokkuhlag

Enlightened

Actually HDS is the same size as micra both are 1 inch wide and 3.2 inch long. So this way you can see the difference in the last pics between the E1L and micra or HDS.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifI also agree with others about nuwai Q3, for 35 dollars shipped to NL, it's the best value for money. Size of Q3 is: 3.7" (94mm) x 1.1" (28 mm)

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm happy with my Inova T1 and my QIII. Both close to the same price. The Inova has better throw, QIII better flood.
Inova T1 Dims: 4.59" X 0.98" diam.

Blades

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

I may be missing something, but where can you get a HDS basic 42 for 130 dollars?

pokkuhlag

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
thesurefire said:
I may be missing something, but where can you get a HDS basic 42 for 130 dollars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Batterystation ships HDS EDC basic 42 for 120 + 8 dollar international shipping. If HDS EDC Basic fits in small GPM envellop. Also you get 10 123 batts for free.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

All the light's mentioned are great at what they do.
But your choice will come down to what price your willing to pay for size, quality and feature's.

What are you willing to pay, and what do you want in a light? are you more into throw or flood? is size most important or price? this info would help us CPFer's help
make a better recommendation.

If i was to use as an example,, you say size, i would say
a jil lite 1.3. It's a LUX III, that is got a great white beam, and though it's got a lot of flood it's throw is better then my LSH-P and Q-III, an is about the size of 15-20 dimes stacked up. It's kinda like a great light with the fact that it's super tiny as an added benefit. $80

Price? Q-III $32-35

great throw and beam? E1L or to add one more possability to the mix one of my fav's,, a KL-1 on a Vital Gear FB-1 body.
knock's a 1/2 inch or more off the E1L, and still got great KL-1
throw/beam

best all around? HDS basic 4 level's of great white beam, lot's throw, and same size as your micra but feel's in my hand and pocket to be less bulky, smoother and easier to operate. not cheap, but a light that will do most anything you need.

best two that fit these examples I feel are the KL-1/VG
and the jil lite 1.3 . that's my 02 cent's. VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW I see your in Nijmegen. a really neat and different town, and as a musician I must thank you for your best export: the van halen brother's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif VDG

Bagheera

Newly Enlightened
Pokkuhlag, Voodoogreg and everyone else,

Sorry I haven't replied to any of your informative replies, I have been verry busy at work and I didn't get an notification email so I kind of forgot.

Nijmegen is a beautiful town but I'm glad I don't live in it anymore I moved about 5 miles and now live in a small town with all the advantages of a small town and have the big town nearby.

I had the LB Micra with clicky switch in Black and I liked the light but it was to big to carry in my pocket, my McKinley 1 x CR123 7 LED on the other hand just always rides in my pocket without any problem.

I would like a little power and also I liked the beam of the Micra so if the HDS Basis 42 (or 60) has a nice beam somewhat like the Micra has and then has the 4 power settings it would really be a nice light to get.

I can't find any info about the runtime of either the Basic 42 or 60 on the different settings, does anybody have an indication about what to expect runtime wise on full power (42 or 60 Lumen version).

Thanks again, best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera