Anybody else have problem with Verizon mail?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Verizon DSL and it seems their mail server has always been a problem for me. Sometimes it's ok but often times I have to check consecutive or more tries before it connects to the mail server and retrieves the mail. Tonight is particularly bad. Anybody else have a problem with the Verizon DSL mail servers? I think maybe could it be my settings but really the only settings are the incoming and outgoing servers. I use Eudora but I would not think the particular mail program would make any difference.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man it's good to read that it's probably not just the one connection I was trying to get fixed this afternoon. In this case it was Apple's Mail program that showed the initial symptom, but later I noticed the whole verizon.net zone didn't seem to work right.

I spent nearly 1/2 hr at a client's site seeing his mail come up as "Offline" when all the settings were set correctly, according to Verizon (FWIW).

I even tried to use a web browser to get to business.verizon.net. No luck with that either, although many other sites were working fine via the browser but not all (some reported server not found when they shouldn't have).

I think it turned out to be a DNS trouble. I think I temporarily added DNS's from MIT and then everything worked. I only got a few hrs sleep last night (trying to convert a database) so my feeble brain's a little fried.

Now's as good a time as any for me to go double-check that things are working. I'll remote in to his machine and report back...

[edit] Yup, things are still working there via Verizon business DSL with the supplemental non-Verizon DNS's added. (I have Comcast) That reminds me. A friend of mine phoned me the night before last asking if my Comcast was down like his. Turned out Comcast's DNS's were down then. Maybe something bad's going around to DNS boxes in general lately.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
There are no new problems reported with the most popular DNS server (BIND www.isc.org ). That's not to say that Comcast and Verizon could not be using some other DNS server software that does have a bug.

Comcast appears to be using Bind 9.3
I'm not sure what Verizon is using. It's version is coming out as
"AN-DNS Server"

Daniel

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Verizon had some trouble yesterday with their "west" DNS servers. I don't know if the trouble effected DSL customers, and I'm fairly certain that "east" customers weren't having any trouble.

There are no Verizon "DSL" mail servers - just Verizon Online mail servers that handle all verizon.net email addresses.