Can a 4th Gen. KL1 be modded w/ a reflector?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know who might be able to modify my KL1 and replace the optics with a good reflector? There's just not enough sidespill(almost none) for me. I love how far it throws for such a small light, but I am willing to trade a bit of throw for more spill. I ordered a F04 beamshaper and hope that will help, but I suspect it will not be enough. Unless there is another LED head I can get for my E1e about the same size (possibly Aleph head?), It seems modding it may be my only option. I love my E1e+KL1 very much, but the lack of sidespill is getting old. Please help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did have someone send me a KL1 as sort of a guinea pig a while back. About the only thing I was able to really do was to add a reflector. In hind sight, I would have done it a bit differently, but it can be done.

I do have to say that it was really difficult getting into the KL1 to do the mod. Not only are the parts sealed, but they are also tight going together, sealant aside. The reflector that I used was a McR20 and it did have a rather nice beam.

It's just a matter of cost effectiveness. If you consider the cost of the KL1, say $40 for labor, plus parts and shipping, you could have just bought an Aleph II head for the light and also enjoyed the flexibility of the light engine system.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommended the Aleph II because I assumed that the KL1 was the size that you were interested in. The Aleph II also gets you throw performance that comes close to that of the KL1 at similar current levels and it gets you the sidespill that you are looking for.

What I meant about the flexibility of the light engine system is this. The light engine is a module of sorts. It contains the luxeon and driver. You can have one light engine to swap among heads. For example, you could get an Aleph III head for more throw, when you need it. The light engine is easily transferable from one head to the other. You could also have more than one light engine. You could have one at 400mA for insane runtimes and you could have one at 1A for all out performance.

The entire Aleph system of lights is designed around being flexible. You can mix and match parts to fit your particular need or task.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!!! I didn't know the Aleph series is so flexible. You were correct in assuming I wanted similar size to the KL1. I will definately look at the Aleph system for my E1e. Thanks, Tony