Need simple LS Converter design...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep changing my mind for the host of a Cyan 1W'er.
rolleyes.gif
Now I'm back to needing a Converter.

Is there anything similar to the way a 1 transistor step-up works that can power a 1W LS from 2C cells? Only with common components or common IC's available from radio shack?

It doesn't have to be super efficient, just simple. I want this light for freaking out people with it's "Alien" Cyan Color and shear brightness to impress (blind) them.
grin.gif

I don't have much spare time to mess with/learn/try to obtain via $$$ mail order IC's. As long as it will last at least 5 hours full bright on 2C's that's fine.

Please help!
frown.gif
confused.gif
bluesigh.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
I know, I probably sould like a "shill" for them,
but the MicroPuck from www.ledsupply.com is the easy solution for this one. About $15 for one, $130 for ten, and they are as easy to use as it comes. Four leads, two (orange and green) to the LED, and red and black to the battery or original bulb connection.

One draws about 450 mA on fresh batteries, and
feeds 375 mA to the 1W Luxeon LED (white, blue, RB, green or cyan). Red, orange and yellow/amber cam run direct drive off 2 cells, no step-up or resistors needed. This should well exceed 5 hours on 2 Cs, probably closer to 8 or 10.

/ed B in the deep freeze of NH

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed they lowered the price to 15. I wonder how much they charge for shipping? I could maybe sell a maglite or something to help pay for it
grin.gif
375mA sounds good though, just 25mA over driven right? I'll keep it in consideration..

Any other designs that are simple but in-efficeint? Maybe larger values for the 1 transistor circuit?