Nuwai Q3

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nuwai Q-III is a pretty popular light here on CPF - so I had to check out what all the fuss was about for myself.

Although it was good value, the price was still a bit high for me for a mere "flashlight" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So I waited until I saw signs of the price starting to drop - and bought one from AmondoTech.com via their eBay listings with 5 extra CR123 batteries -
the opening bid price $24.95 + shipping $7.95 + mandatory $1 insurance - puts the shipped total at $33.90.

Q3Blstr.jpg
Q3Disass.jpg

No, your eyes are not deceiving you -
that is a deep green anodized finish.......

Q3Size.jpg
Q3Hds.jpg

As can be seen the Q3 has a reticulated (orange peel) reflector which probably helps smooth the beam and make it less sensitive to centering of the emitter?

The only 3watt Luxeon I have is the Chinese copy MXDL 3watt (3x AAA) from eBay - that has had mixed reports with some very bad.......
Q3MXDL.jpg
Q3MXDL2U.jpg

In person, subjectively the Nuwai Q3 looks brighter - but it's because its beam is more concentrated with a smaller side-spill coverage than the MXDL 3watt. But the Q3 beam is a lot smoother and the tint is just slightly better (to me).

Note: the Q3's beam side-spill coverage is not round because of the scalloped "hood" of the head. I'm not sure if it serves any legitimate purpose other than cosmetics. I think it may even be a little detrimental to the coverage. But I don't have the nerve to saw and file off those scallops

The beam is most like the Dorcy 1watt 3x AAA, I recently got at a Target clearance for $12.48.....
Q3Dorcy.jpg
Q3Dorcy2U.jpg

Subjectively the Dorcy 1w looks almost as bright - but the -2 Stops Underexposed shot shows that it is not. Again the tint of the Q3 is less harsh/dazzling white (that tends to make the Dorcy look brighter than it actually is)

My favorite 1 cell Luxeon light is the (inexpensive) S1801 1watt Luxeon 1x CR123 -
Q3S1801.jpg
Q3S1801_2U.jpg

The S1801 is obviously not as bright - but its side-spill coverage is much greater and I prefer the S1801's tint better.

A 2x CR123 Xenon Streamlight Scorpion?
Q3Scorp.jpg
Q3Scorp2U.jpg

The beauty of the Scorpion is its very wide and even coverage and its ridiculous brightness for size.
Well the Q3 can also be said to be ridiculously bright for its size and because of the more concentrated beam it appears to holds its own well against the Xenon Scorpion.

Lastly the poor ArcAAA is quite simply out of its league -
Q3Arc.jpg
Q3Arc2U.jpg

placed here just for interest - as can be seen I've kind of overcome the false comparison of the ArcAAA against the Dorcy 1w 3x AAA - by simply pointing the lights so the edge of the side-spill coverage just overlap on the central + that I focus on - this simultaneously solves 2 problems - it avoids the difficulty in focussing with the central + in the shadows, and the exposure system is no longer fooled into grossly overexposing the brighter light - so that the dimmer light seems to look brighter than it is.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool... thanks for the pictures and info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Are all the Q3s the dark green color or are some black? I seem to remember there being a limited run of silver overseas but that's the only color option I have head of.

-Mike

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said: Are all the Q3s the dark green color or are some black?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think they are mostly black,
and dark green is the only other color that I've seen.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
That tint looks familiar.
Looks like you have a SX1* tint Luxeon3 in yours too.

Break out the hairdryer on high and take the bezel off with gloves.
Then use needlenose pliers to remove the black retainer ring to find out what bin is in your Q3.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

luminaria

Newly Enlightened
If you really want to see what your Q3 is able to do, put a rechargeable RCR123 inside her.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Hey, I know now what is this nice flashlight I saw in another thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I like this S1801 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif could you tell me more about this light ?
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Steve C

Enlightened
Great job on the photography, Vincent. That's the best "beamshot comparison" gallery I've yet to see, here or elsewhere.

I bought a Q3 more out of curiousity than anything else. It turns out that mine has the whitest, most nearly-perfect even beam of the many LED lights I've owned or handled.

It isn't being used right now, but will become my EDC when I retire and switch to shorts and flip-flops as my uniform of the day... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here, Steve! I tried the hair dryer and couldn't get the bezel off, though, must have a smidgen more loctite on there or something. Next time I borrow the heat gun..

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Frenchyled said: I like this S1801 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif could you tell me more about this light ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done a comparison review of the S1801 from GoldenGadgets.com -
pretty detailed with lots of comparison beamshots (older style) as it was my first Luxeon.

S1801 1w Luxeon 1xCR123

There is a link in that post to the S1801 page at the vendor,
one can also save $1 by buying from GoldenGadgets.com on their eBay listing, if you're the only and winning bidder.......
but I see you're "overseas" so you may be able to find the S1801 elsewhere - it most probably is made in China?

To be honest I don't really like the S1801's looks - but it more than makes up for it by its "beauty" in performance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened
Edit: This is about the s1801 not the Q3.

Very nice review, I wonder how I missed it. I saw this light several times but always thought it was crap - may have to rethink this.
One question, is it possible to open the head and probably change the LED and/or circuit in there?
Question to all, does any dealer that ships outside the carry this light?

Thanks, Chrisse

ChrisA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Note: the Q3's beam side-spill coverage is not round because of the scalloped "hood" of the head. I'm not sure if it serves any legitimate purpose other than cosmetics.

[/ QUOTE ]

once you set the light switched on and bezel down on a flat surface, you'll appreciate the scalloping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

chris

ChrisA

Enlightened
@chrisse242 - toolshop has the light (albeit at a significantly higher price) - no need to order abroad and mess with the customs if you need only one. the head is sealed (loctite) but can be opened with some effort (heat gun). the stock versions make excellent gifts and if you power it with a r123 and mod the tailswitch a little (two stage) it really shines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chris

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I still like mine, however I just had one go "instadark". It hadn't been used in about a day and died right after cutting it on. (Still seemed bright the day before but not sure how much time was on the battery.) Definitely one I won't carry without a backup and extra batteries. I did have a "moon mode" on the stock battery though.

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ChrisA said:
@chrisse242 - toolshop has the light (albeit at a significantly higher price) - no need to order abroad and mess with the customs if you need only one. the head is sealed (loctite) but can be opened with some effort (heat gun). the stock versions make excellent gifts and if you power it with a r123 and mod the tailswitch a little (two stage) it really shines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks ChrisA, but I was talking about that s1801-light. Should have made this clear.
I know Toolshop sells the Q3 (just have a look at "favourite dealer" in my profile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), but I already have one of those.

Chrisse

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chrisse242 said: Edit: This is about the s1801 not the Q3.
Very nice review, I wonder how I missed it. I saw this light several times but always thought it was crap - may have to rethink this.
One question, is it possible to open the head and probably change the LED and/or circuit in there?
Question to all, does any dealer that ships outside the carry this light?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah! OK, the S1801 -
Hopefully you've checked out the linked comparison review.

The S1801 does look a bit cheesy to me -
so obviously the photos will look cheesy too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The beam on my S1801 is not "perfect" there is a bit of comma tail to the hotspot - probably because of my liking the S1801 and thus "bias" I tend to put the comma tail toward the bottom in the beamshots so it is not emphasised as much. But in real practical use it is not any detriment at all.

However I have marked the insides of one of the cosmetic circles to always orient the light the same way in use, so that the comma tail is at the bottom........

I haven't really tried hard to open up the S1801 - head seems to be fixed on pretty tight, possibly loctite?

You already know about this?

Free International Forwarding 2

chrisse242

Enlightened
Of course I read the review and of course I know KSBman, I just try to bother him a little as possible.

Ah well, I'll see...

Chrisse

colnago

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for my silly question... but is Nuwai flashlight made in Taiwan?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chrisse242 said: Of course I read the review and of course I know KSBman, I just try to bother him a little as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
GoldenGadget's S1801 BuyItNow listing on eBay shows they'll do international shipping - the price is the same as on their web site - but the shipping is much higher....

I just bought their other S1801 eBay auction listing (shipping to USA only) - where the BuyItNow price was a mere $12!!! a bargain and a HALF! even with $8 shipping and $1.50 mandatory insurance.....

chrisse242

Enlightened
Thanks, those 12$ offers are great, I just have to wait for some money to be transfered to my paypal account and then I'll try to get one. I guess one way or another I'll find a way to get it to germany.

Chrisse

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
colnago said:
Sorry for my silly question... but is Nuwai flashlight made in Taiwan?

[/ QUOTE ]
The package says "Made in China"