Skunkworks - are you optimizing the kroll tailcap switch?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just read this post:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=14&t=001283&p=1

Are yall doing anything to optimize the kroll tailcap, or do you not see any problems with the Kroll?

I am just thinking about battery innefficiencies or reduce brightness due to the kroll tailcap.

Would a SureFire clickie tailcap fit on the McLux?

PLEASE note that I am not complaining, I still can't wait to get my McLux!

Oh, I wonder if a Brinkmann LX tailcap will fit on the McLux?

There's an idea for an aftermarket "20 dollar" kroll tailcap!

OR, how about the Brinkmann 2AA tailcap, will that fit, or is that not the right size?

Again, this is not meant to be a complaint, I very much appreciate all the work that you have done over many contintents to produce this light.

Darell

Flashaholic
We're optimizing it only by way of making sure it functions.
smile.gif

The switch was the weak link for us, and we knew that going in. The only reliability troubles we've had with the lights is in the switch. By allowing simple switch replacement, though, we couldn't worry ourselves too much further. There simply isn't much in the way of options out there!

Whatever switch will fit on the end of the Minimag (assuming it is the same OD) will fit in the McLux. The threads are the same - simple as that. This also means, of course, that none of the current Surefire switch parts will fit the McLux.

I've improved many Krolls by giving them a light coat of conductive Nye lube. If I can't fix it, I throw it away and put a new one in.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
To add to Darell's comments, if we DO come up with a better idea for the switch, you'll be sure to know....
I know a nice switch is something I am always looking out for...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
BuddTx,

Before posting this but after writing it, I checked and sure enough, I am slow to get on the thread but I'm going to leave it as is anyway.

We are trying to determine the best method of installing and treating the Kroll for dependability. For the most part, I haven't experienced any problems once I got the Kroll working, it seems to continue to work OK. It is possible that in some cycles, there is added resistance in the contact assembly. This problem will be readily appearant in the case of a direct drive or incandescent application. When a constant current driver like the BadBoy is used, I would expect that unless the resistance in contacts is very significant, the effect will be on ultimate run time but not brightness. The BB will want to draw more power to get the current where it needs to be. Certainly the Kroll is the *weakest* link in the McLux circuit. However, in most cases, a mechanical switch is inherently a weak link. I have noticed flikering in many SF lights when I use the momentary switch and don't hold it depressed enough.

When it's all said and done, the Kroll is not a bad switch and the materials used are well chosen. I spoke with one of the tech reps with Judco and although they have rated the Kroll at 2 amps, they have seen currents as high as 10 pass effectively through the switch.

The E series tail switch is not at all compatable with the McLux.

- Don

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for three quick and informative, and honest responses!

It's nice to know that it is compatable with the mini-mag, so that if any other tailcap options are offered for the mini-mag, the most popular 2AA light available, it will also fit the McLux.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
BuddTx,

The Brinkmann 2AA switch *does* thread into the McLux tail in place of the kroll. The darn thing even works! But, it sticks out due to its extra length and you can pretty much forget about any water-resistance if you use it.

And as McGizmo has said, any mechanical switch will be a weakness and the Brinkmann's is no exception. The one I have has the *exact* same contact problem as the Kroll!

-leo

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has the Ram Industries switch been tested on the McLux ?

razorlimit1_1727_191122623

It's quoted as being "water resistant" but not much in the way of details.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
x-ray,

I haven't had the pleasure of trying one of the Rams out, but the lack of a rubber boot will quite certainly mean that a McLux using it will not survive the 6-ft dunk and operation test I performed a coupla days ago
smile.gif

That said, it does look very likely that a RAM would fit the McLux.

The nice thing is, with the McLux, you can use ANY one of the above switches you please!
smile.gif

-leo

Darell

Flashaholic
The RAM works (same as ANY switch that'll fit the Minimag) but it is a PITA to operate. It sits too low in the switch guard. I never was too fond of the RAM, and find the Kroll to be superior.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
The RAM is certainly not water resistant. I have one, and it feels rather cheap to me. Maybe that's because the tactile response of the switch is so wimpy. Or maybe its because you could practically sneeze on the thing and it will activate the switch...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some of the RAM switches in an earlier group buy. One of them exhibited resistance (when new) and eventually failed completely after seeing very limited use. After I noticed a second one of these switches beginning to show increased resistance, I decided to try the Kroll switches.

Having had experience with both brands, I'd still rate the Kroll superior to the RAM...

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question:
If the Kroll switch fits the McLux, and the Brinkman switch fits the McLux, does that mean that the Kroll will fit and function on the Brinkman? (My Legend LX sits in a closet somewhere, because of the excessively stiff switch.)

Darell

Flashaholic
The logic seems sound to me - but I don't have an LX to try. I'll bet there are hundreds of folks out there with Krolls and LX's though...

Are we sure that the LX switch fits the McLux?

Saaby

Flashaholic
LX Switch too big for Minimag. RAM switch too small for LX. Therefore LX switch will not fir McLux.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried it, the tube/thread daimeter is much larger on the Legend than on the MiniMag/Kroll switch. Just look at the battery diameter, a 3V 123 Lithium is quite a bit bigger around than a AA.

-Keith

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by hotfoot:
The Brinkmann 2AA switch *does* thread into the McLux tail in place of the kroll.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Note that acccording to the above post, it was the Brinkmann 2aa NOT the Brinkmann Legend LX that fits the McLux.

Saaby

Flashaholic
What all this does mean though is that when Arc comes out with a tailswitch it'll fit the McLux
wink.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Stainless:
Question:
If the Kroll switch fits the McLux, and the Brinkman switch fits the McLux, does that mean that the Kroll will fit and function on the Brinkman? (My Legend LX sits in a closet somewhere, because of the excessively stiff switch.)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just tried the Kroll on a Legend (2AA) it will not screw all the way in (same problem when trying to use Legend tail-switch on a MiniMag)

Here's a picture (notice the gap between tube & switch):

fca6cfc6.jpg

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if you can't see the above pic, ImageStation appears to be having problems
twak.gif