Brighter LED: RPI

VOORinNY

Newly Enlightened
"Scientists at the Lighting Research Center (LRC) at Rensselaer have developed a method known as "SPE" to get significantly more light from white LEDs (light-emitting diodes) without requiring more energy. Compared to commercial white LEDs, prototypes of the new SPE LED technology produced 30-60 percent more light output and luminous efficacy."

The article continues (today, April 12) at www.rpi.edu which is the website for Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY

Thought you LED fans might be interested, I am.

Barb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Oooh! Neat story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks Barb!

Do I see blue light leaking from the bottom of that fixture as well as from the edges of the lenses?

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
This could prove to be a big step forward, but until I see numbers or beamshots I will be a bit sceptical.

Tritium

Enlightened
Actually this does not seem to be a new idea. Cree uses the same concept in their high output white X-Lamps that are already on the market. The emitter led is blue while the phosphor is actually a distance away from the die on the back surface of the lens. Sort of a solid state fluorescent lamp.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Barb,

Welcome to CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

80 lumens/watt sounds pretty good.

If the phosphor is separate from the LED, you could get some interesting colors by changing the color of the LED's.

Interesting.

Tom