LED Supply is out with a 5W driver

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened
This just showed up at LED Supply.

http://www.ledsupply.com/02008a.html

Has anyone seen/evaluated this yet?

The data sheet claim a pretty large diameter of 1.5" with a depth of .5" and some mounting flanges (probably doubling at heat sinks), but this might be nice for larger lantern mods. The biggest drawback is a 12V input, so the small cell lights are out of the picture here.
frown.gif

BTW, it looks like they have kit including a 5W star. At $50 for the driver and the LED it is a bit spendy, but it may be a reasonable place to pick up a 5W part.

http://www.ledsupply.com/kit003.html

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
looks nice.

altough a step-up would probably be better suited to most needs. i hope they have more stuff in mind, their products seem to be very easy to use.

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Looks good (like I know what the heck I'm talking about), I need another 5 watter, who wants to make me one?
grin.gif

bucken

Enlightened
I see their kit offers your choice of either a Lambertian or Side Emitter 5W Luxeon. Wonder what bin codes they are? Too bad about the driver being a step-DOWN, though. I was hoping for something much smaller (think McLux), and for a step-UP.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought one,
It was just the curcuit for $19.95 plus $5.00 shipping. OK, the Elektrolumens 5W Cyan comes in first (so I can play with it) and a few days later the LED Supply regulator pops in the box. That will give me two days to wire it in until the Elektrolumens 30mm optic arrives for a blinding, long throw, spot beam that is regulated and cyan. Whew!
The funny part is my wife has not figured out how the three orders are for one light
grin.gif
Got a good deal on the 5W Cyan, waited a few days then ordered the optics (with money order), a few more days pass and I run into the regulator and order it. My wife's concern is the initial outlay, not the extra $35 in mods. Now one of the cheapest becomes the most expensive, ahhhhh life is good until she figures it out and I won't be able to buy a flashlight for the rest of my life.
Thanks for the tip, you guys sure can spend my money...my wife loves you guys!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah,
Will eight C cells fit in a 5D flashlight? It would be nice to run it in spec at 12V. The specs say it will run down to 8V but I would prefer to run eight C cells (12V) instead of 7 (10.5V)
It is rated for 15V on the top end, so I can put the head in a 3D and use 12 AA NiMH batteries in it. The possiblities are fun, now to get the parts in and figure out how to get them all together (I don't want the 5W LS on top of the regulator, off to the side would be better)

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll wait for a 5W step-up....

In the mean time, I'm considering trying a "micro-puck". anyone ordered one yet? how's their shipping charges? TIA!

Hemingray

Enlightened
I just sent off for a couple... Combine that with the impending 5W white stars, and a 30 mm optics, watch out... Will probably start out with a 12V 2.3A bagphone battery.

Micropucks are good, simple to use. Shipping for usps is $5.00 (at least to my area, which is just one state away.

/ed B in NH

LEDhed

Newly Enlightened
This converter is obviously for you garbage truck chasers
smile.gif
that want blinding marker/signal lights on your vehicle.

I agree, though, that a step-up converter would be better for most of us.

-LEDhed

N

n1ywb

The PowerPuck really wasn't designed to run your average flashlight, as you can tell by the size
smile.gif
We are really aiming this at the automotive, marine, and possibly the computer case modders markets. Certainly, if you want a flashlight that blinds at 100 yards, then the PowerPuck is for you!

We're always developing new products, though, and we're paying attention to these posts to see what it is that people want. Stay tuned.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey n1ywb, what's the story on the PR-based LS replacement bulb? Looks like it has a side emitter, but there's no information about a due date. When will these be ready?

Jon

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by n1ywb:
We're always developing new products, though, and we're paying attention to these posts to see what it is that people want. Stay tuned.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Since this sound like an offer to ask fo what I'd like to see, how about a step-up for the 5W that runs at lower Vin? Say somewhere between 2 - 6 volts if possible.

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by n1ywb:
We are really aiming this at the automotive, marine
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm personally quite happy about the 12Vin situation (automotive use). The part that I'd like to see modified is the current output. As they're currently (pun almost intended) set up, it can only be used to drive two or four 1W, or a single 5W. I have need to drive a single 1W at spec.

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I Just ordered one. A friend of mine who's a small parts dealer gave me a 5w white Lambertian a couple of weeks ago and I've got a Nightsun Bike light with a 4.5ah/12v water bottle battery to play with. I was talking to Wayne about having him mod it for me but now I think I'll give it a shot myself just for fun.

Since the Luxeon was a freebee it's worth the 25 bucks for the puck to see how it works out in the real world as a LED headlight for an agressive road rider. I'm hoping it will be enough for 20-23mph. It probably won't but since I don't use the Nightsun much anymore there's not much to lose by trying.

There's probably not enough room in the head for both the puck and star but I should be able to stick the puck down in the bottle.

L

LED Punk

Originally posted by StoneDog:
Hey n1ywb, what's the story on the PR-based LS replacement bulb? Looks like it has a side emitter, but there's no information about a due date. When will these be ready?

Jon
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LEDdynamics still hasn't given us an exact ship date, although we are probably looking at a couple of months. When we have a ship date, we will announce it and begin to take preorders.

I have received updated information from LEDdynamics and I am literally in the middle of posting it on LED Supply, so check back in an hour.

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened
It looks very nice for all those little lights hanging around the house (esp. the kid's lights).

1.5V - 9V operating range? Is this a step-up/down voltage regulator in a bulb form factor?

LED Punk, do you have an estimated cost on these yet?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:
I'm personally quite happy about the 12Vin situation (automotive use). The part that I'd like to see modified is the current output. As they're currently (pun almost intended) set up, it can only be used to drive two or four 1W, or a single 5W. I have need to drive a single 1W at spec.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you're after 12V in (or actually up to 30V in) I have a 1W and 5W driver that I sell. www.geocities.com/george_tlc/led.html. The 1W is constant current 350mA and the 5W is constant current 700mA. The only diff between the 1W & 5W unit is the switcher - pin compatible, and one resistor value that sets the current limit. Both are step down regulators. I have a bunch in stock and am just finalizing a new run - same design, except the PCB will be 7/8" x 1" - currently 1"x1".

cheers,
george.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just discovered this regulator today, when I went to their web site. Cool!
grin.gif

I just ordered a couple of the 2008 regulators, for the 5W. You can see by the large size (1.5" X .5"), and being for 12 volts, it is intended for automotive use. However, (heh heh), I'm hoping I can hack up the thing enough to fit it into a flashlight. I'm thinking: three 3-To-D battery holders, that's 9 AA batteries, in a 3D flashlight.

I'm also wondering about 'tweaking it'?

Aparently it is a buck regulator. Should maintain constant brightness until the batteries drop to 8 volts, which is .88 volts per battery. That means getting good battery usage. Batteries are generally considered dead by this time.

I can see this regulator would be nice with a 5W in a driving light, or a fog light (amber). Yes, there are other applications besides flashlights, believe it or not
shocked.gif

Wayne J.