which key chain light??

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
Epoch4?
CMG Equipment Infinity Ultra Task Light?
Arc AAA??
Inova X5?

My maglite AAA is gettin' too old to keep it with my keys, so I'm thinkin' about upgrading to one if these four lights. I don't really have any personal experience with any of them. So can you all tell me the:
brightness?
Quality?
durability?
of each?

thanks

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the "LED, Electroluminescent and Lasers" forum and click on "search" at the top of the page. Enter "Arc AAA Ultra" in the search box and select "Subject only" then click search. There are several good threads comparing these lights. You could do the same with the X5 and Epoch 4 although they would seem too big for a "keychain" type light.

I use the Infiity Ultra on my keychain. Plenty bright for most up close tasks. The quality of the Arc and Ultra are outstanding and pretty close in brightness. They will put your Mag AAA to shame in brightness (although they might not "throw" the light as far). They are also regulated so they will keep their brightness for several hours. As far as size (rough estimates)the Arc AAA is about the size of a AA battery and the Ultra is a little longer than 1 AA battery with the thickness of a Mag AA's battery compartment.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're JUST starting out, get either the Arc AAA LE or the CMG Infinity Ultra, or BOTH... You won't be disappointed...

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If youy're already used to the MagLite Solitaire as a keyring light then the ArcAAA (winner of the 2002 Lummies) probably is a very good replacement - or rather UPgrade.

However I find those a bit big for my keyring, and much prefer the "almost not there" Photon or Inova Microlights. White in either - the Photon II is simpler than the Mk.3 which might be considered overly complex for a light
frown.gif

I like the Photon II in yellow - it is advertized with a 120 hour battery life - and the color seems to give me good definition/contrast to see details with, yet is a good compromise of disturbing my eyes' dark adaption less.

However I do now also carry a CMG Ultra-G in my other pocket.

Zephyr

Enlightened
I would get the ARC AAA Standard or LE first. It's pretty bright for it's size and very tough as well. Or maybe you can try the PT Eclipse. It's a little bigger than the Photons, but has multiple modes that you can select. PT Eclipse will cost you a mere $13.00 or so. I myself carry an ARC AAA standard, Photon II turquoise, and an Infinity Ultra-G for my everyday cary (EDC)

ZEPH

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have:

Arc AAA Standard
Arc LS with 123 tube
Photon II, White
Inova Micro Light, White with clear body.

My friends think I'm weird.
smile.gif
icon14.gif

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
lionken07;

Have you considered the Streamlight "Key-Mate"? I have one (white LED), and I like it alot. It comes with a swivel snap hook, pocket clip and a breakaway neck/wrist lanyard. The price is right (about $9.00). The only "problem" I see with it, is that it runs on 4 LR44 batteries (instead of the common AAA battery). All-in-all, it is a good light (IMHO).

Mike

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
thanks everyone I'll do research on each of the light mention above.