Kroll with G2 problem

Argent60

Newly Enlightened
I've finally decided to try the Kroll clickie mod on one of my G2's. (Super fast delivery from the Sandwich Shoppe, by the way.) I put aluminum foil around the threads like it's been talked about on this forum. Problem is, the light stays constantly on, no matter how I adjust the foil, or how far down I screw on the tailcap.
I guess I could just buy a Z49, but it costs as much as the G2 itself. And to me, it defeats the purpose of getting a inexpensive Surefire.
Could someone chime in here and give me some advise.

thanks,

litho123

Enlightened
I never put a Kroll on my G2, I tore apart a Garrity AA light picked up from walmart (under 7.00) and installed that. It works like a charm.

I would suspect that the foil is completing the circuit, bypassing the Kroll. Try checking into that first.

Greg

Argent60

Newly Enlightened
I tried the Garrity clickie for a while, but found after a few weeks of heavy usage, the clickie would compress into the tube to far to work. Maybe I don't have the knack for mods, but I thought I'd give the Kroll a try. If only I could get it to work correctly.
Thanks for your reply.

Argent60

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
litho123 said:

In the pics I notice that the foil does not touch the exposed spring inside the plastic housing. Is yours avoiding the same inner spring?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I made sure that the foil is ONLY on the threads.

mokona2

Enlightened
How much of the threads does your aluminum foil cover? Does it extend down into the body tube? You may need to fold the foil over a bit to prevent it from contacting the larger spring.

Argent60

Newly Enlightened
I think I've got it working. I only had the foil going around about 1 1/2 times. Then I added a couple more layers, and it works now. Don't know, but maybe that was the problem.
Thanks for everyone's help.

mokona2

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Forgot about that.. the foil needs to be thick enough all the way around the threads of the Kroll switch to keep it in place in the body tube.

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
what garrity AA light was used for the switch and how was it installed was it just screw it on or did you need to mod the G2 Switch. sorry for changing this thread a little but i thought this was the best place to ask this.

litho123

Enlightened
Hi Rogue Monkey -

Basically gut the Garrity switch, remove the G2 switch (mine just fell out), keep the G2 rubber boot, insert the clickie switch, and screw down tight.

PM me your e-mail addy and i'll send you the pics and instructions that I pulled off a previous thread on the subject.

03lab

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rogue_monkey said:
what garrity AA light was used for the switch and how was it installed was it just screw it on or did you need to mod the G2 Switch. sorry for changing this thread a little but i thought this was the best place to ask this.

[/ QUOTE ]

See this page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif