CMG and the CE mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightnix

Enlightened
I'm in the process of setting up a little company in the UK to deal in LED & EL torches (oops - flashlights), lanterns and fun stuff, including some CMG products.

I just got my first batch in the other day and to my horror found that neither the products or the packaging carry the CE mark.

CE is the set of European product safety regulations which must be complied with, in order to protect Joe Public from "unsafe" products (and keep the bureaucrats in work). All products sold in Europe must carry the CE mark, either on their casing or on the packaging in order to be sold legally.

It seems I would have a reasonably good legal defence ("I bought it from an importer, your Honour") in the case of any comebacks and am able to "self-assess" products for CE compliance, applying my own stickers if necessary.

However, a stick on label doesn't create a good impression with customers and self-assessing could take a lot of time and paperwork.

While there is apparently nothing about CMG products which would prevent them from complying with CE, I am surprised that an apparently "reputable" manufacturer has not addressed this issue, particularly when much of the competition has already done so.

As usual Europe is way behind the States in the technology stakes, but is starting to catch up. If CMG want to compete openly and fairly in this market then they will have to do something about this.

In the meantime, any comments or suggestions of CE compliant alternatives will be gratefully received and listened to. I'm going to put copies of this post in the Dealers and Manufacturers forums too. Hope it won't be taken as flooding, as that is not my intention.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
silly if you ask me.
i see lots of dangerous electronic stuff with all the ul ce csa bla bla bla stuff and find that the only ones that care in the us is the cpsc.
lots of pc power supplies are dangerous junk with forged credentials.
so just more red tape without enforcement.
but cmg arc would probably go broke trying to get approval the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.