What is the BEST Dimmable 5W Light ?? U2 ?

jtice

Flashaholic
I have grown to love the 5W beam over the LuxIII beams in most situations, the wider hotspot makes it alot more useful in most situations. Unless I am outside in large open areas, I find I dont really need the tight spot of the LuxIII.

Currently I have a couple dimmable 5W mag mods, and my Surefire L4, which I am currently EDCing. With a resistored tail cap. So at least it has 2 levels.

But, I really like multiple light levels from a light, makes it alot more useful.
So I have had my eye on the Surefire U2 a good bit.
But, I am really not liking the pricetag. When my mag mods will greatly out perform it. Though they are alot larger, so thats not real fair.

Is the U2 small enough to EDC?
I barely notice the L4 on me at all, but it seems the U2 is alot larger, and with bezel down carry.
Anyone here EDC it? What do you think of the clip, and the larger head being down in your pocket?

I dont really see many alternatives to it. Theres a couple 2 level lights out there, but not multiple level.
If anyone knows of an alternative I may want to look at, please let me know.

How does the U2 perform on Pilas? What are the runtimes like? Is the brightness the same?
I dont want to run 123s in it, so its important that it performs well on Pilas.

What is the beam like, when compared to an L4. Or a 5W PR? Can anyone post a shot of the two?

Thanks
~John

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't have a SF U2, my understanding is it is almost exactly the size of a SF M2, which I have EDCed. I carried mine in my front left pocket. IMO, the M2 is fine as a pocket EDC as long as you have reasonable size pockets. The M2 seems fine in Docker type pants to me. That said, some people are more senstive to size/weight than others.

While I wasn't unhappy carrying my M2, (6) spare batteries, my L1 in my pockets, I picked up a E2e and tend to carry it instead of the M2. While both were fine, the E2e is "good enough" in the light and sturdy department.

However, I am still carrying two lights. I have considered the U2 and have it replace both my lights. I think the trade off two lights for one would make this a net win.

What I would like to see is the HDS EDC light offered in a 5W config. I'm also interested in the Proton and any possible offshoots of the new LED technology used in the Proton. I can't think of any existing production dimmable 5W lights other than the U2 right now. Is Ken Good's new light 5W?

As far as beam, my understanding is the beam is more focused than the L4 and is the same as the L5. More like the incandecent SF lights. There are some beam shots here somewhere, you can probably find them with search.

-john

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 does very nicely on 18650 Li-ion cells. Search on U2 and 18650 and you should find threads dealing with it and detailing brightness/runtime using them.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
On the 168A you get reasonably good runtimes (do a search, this was discussed some time ago with lots of good info), but your brightest level might fall a little shorter than with primaries when runtime and absolute brightness is concerned.

I absolutely love this light, it is still my favourite.

Size ... depends on your habits I'd say. I cannot EDC it, for me it is a grab light. But if you use tactical pants ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif ... a lot of people are able to EDC an L5 or M2.

bernhard

jtice

Flashaholic
ahhh a 18650 cell fits? niiiiice
though, I would have to be careful about over discharge

My main concern is if I can EDC it, I think if I cant, it wont be worth it, sence I have Mag mods that are better performers and in the "too large for EDC" section.

Tighter beam than the L4 huh? thats nice, sounds like a 5W PR type beam, which I like alot.

Does the light dim the same, when using Pilas or 18650's vs 2x123?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It is tighter than the LuxV / PR combo, look:

U2 level6:
realtu2level6.jpg

LuxV 917mA in Aleph1 (27mm):
relux527.jpg

Stock SF L4:
realtl4.jpg

The dimming works just as good with the Li-Ion, you have just a bit less runtime and your brightest level might (depending on your LED) be a bit less bright than with CR123s.

Looking at you avatar ... you can EDC it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You might test it with a C2, M2 or L5

bernhard

U2BK1.jpg

Resistance is futile ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I lack a U2. I do have an L4 and an A2. The A2 is only slightly longer than the L4 (when the L4 has the McGizmo E2S switch as mine does), but funny thing, that extra length really makes a difference.

I am not sure if I had an U2 I would EDC it.

jtice

Flashaholic
Kiessling
great pics thanks alot !

Wow, even tighter than a PR reflector huh? sweeeet. That sould be a perfect beam.
Though, it seems that its side spill is not as wide as a 5W PR?

I have an L5 body,,, and only had a KL3 head for it, which is broke now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
How does the size compare with a M2 (or L5) body, and KL3 head?

I think if I can EDC it, I will get it,
I just looked up the runtime info on 18650 cells, it seems its getting 90 minutes ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It dims alittle over that time, but not much.

Now, to sell a couple Arc LS mods for the U2 fund! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

~John

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yepp, due to the deep reflector there is a somewhat tighter beam and less sidespill, but the sidespill itself is brighter which makes it quite useable in middle distances as well. I would have preferred an even wider beam, but that's just me ...

It is a little bit smaller than an L5. YOu might want to ask Al (Size15s) for pics vs. a C3/KL3 combo, he has everything ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

90 minutes ... that would be nice, but I'd doubt that number (if it should represent the highest level). But then again, I am really no expert on Li-Ion ...

bernhard

jtice

Flashaholic
TIN, I have a LuxIII Nflex mag, and two Fatman 5W mags /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Love them both, great funtion with the levels, just too large to EDC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh, something I forgot to ask, what is the LOWEST level like?
One problem I have with all my dimming 5W mods is that they dont dim enough, I think this is due to the Vf of the led.
My two 5W Fatman mags dont go quite as low as I would like.

Can someone compare the lowest setting to a known light?

hm, yea, I should ask Al, he DOES have everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

~John

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Ticey, the other day I found to my absolute horror that I had lost my own U2! It was not on any of the usual flashlight shelves (all creaking and groaning and swaybacking under the tremendous weight) and searching frantically through the house and workshop proved unfruitful.

Sitting down at my computer desk in the den to have a good cry, I suddenly realized my U2 was right there, nestled in among my other Surefires.

This really brough home just how small it was, at least compared to "traditional" lights such as the Mags, etc.

Given its also relatively small head it actually is somewhat EDC-able as long as you're not wearing male-model-tight heams or somethin'.

So yeah, get one. ChocolateLab is selling hers on B/S/T, I think I saw.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Take a look at the Nuwai ALX352L! It has three light levels and a blink mode. The best part is the price...in the $70.00 range.

***ADDED***

Just did a quick and dirty output check on my light meter;

Hi = 1400 Fc@1Ft
MED = 785 Fc@1Ft
LOW = 445 Fc@1Ft

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have the Nuwai ALX-352L, also. It is bright, and probably has 75-100 lumens, on high mode. Mine runs at upper lumen number, owing to use of R123's. This is a large light and not for the pocket, for concealed carry. On walks, low mode is just perfect, about 30 lumens, with a wide beam, and good sidespill. When something pops up, two quick light taps to the switch and high beam lights up the area. This is a light for the person who wants the power of a 5 watter, in a size far smaller than Elektrolumens FT-3C.

Bill

jtice

Flashaholic
The ALX looks rather nice, especially for the price. Might have to pick one up some time.
But I dont think it fits the EDC size.

Plus, I am after more than 3 light levels. At least 5 or 6.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice -

18650's are a good choice for the U2, since it will not overdischarge them, i.e. you don't need the protection of a Pila. The U2 shuts down just above 3 volts - I think I found 3.4 volts.

jtice

Flashaholic
wasBlinded, ah thanks alot, I didnt know that, thats perfect! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Really sounds like a nice light.
The price is still getting to me though, cuz I want to EDC it and use it to death, but that will envolve scratching it up etc.
Not like i havent tore up expensive lights, but still.

I think it would make a hall of a cave light, lol, but MAN, it would come out ugly, ill probably stick to the modded mags for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I might just keep my eye out for a good deal.

OR, if anyone would like to trade a Polished Modded Arc LS for one, made to specs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Luna

Enlightened
Ok the l2 has 2 levels so it is dimmable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I find myself edcing the l2 more than the u2. The U2 is my fav but the l2 is thinner and fits in the front pocket better. If it could run on the 18650 2400s (cheap!!!) then the L2 would be amazing.

Low on the u2 is lower and it is great for sneaking around the house at night( though I'd like it even lower sometimes).

The l2 is a better edc and the u2 is a tac light. The free lumens of the u2 makes its initial cost very easy to swallow and in the long run, the favorite. I would like to try a gladius though.