No More Lighters on Airplanes?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the Link.

As flashaholics tend to try and be prepaired, how does this change things for you all? The way I read it, there's no more lighters on aircraft period, no carry on, checked luggage, nothing. I don't smoke but I carry a lighter and have used it several times for non-smoking related tasks, like sealing the ends of rope. The last time I did so I had flown, but it looks like I'm going to have to buy a bic when I go someplace. .

nethiker

Enlightened
Wow, nice post. I'm traveling tomorrow and would normally carry a lighter. They say they have been advising the public for over a month, but this is the first I heard of it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Greg

loalight

Enlightened
what bollocks. Last time I went through 'security', they took my lighter but missed the 4 Xacto knives I had fogotten about in the bottom of my carry-on.

thanks for the heads-up.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
It will be one thing surrendering your Bic, for those who are asked to give up their Dunhills or other non-disposable lighters, this will not be received well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Matches are still allowed?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

As a smoker, being able to carry matches certainly will be convenient compared to having no source of flame but if the intent is to not allow pasengers a source of flame on board, uh, I think there is a bit of a "loop hole" in the reasoning here?

I am sure the skies will be much safer as a result. Maybe all air travel should be stopped! That would sure show those terrorists and thwart their plans! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

EDIT: How about a basket outside the airport where you drop your lighter and upon reaching your destination, you can pull one out of the basket there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The basket could be in the allowed smoking area. I believe the smoking areas are being moved to special marked spots on the shoulders of adjacent hiways; simply part of the cigarette tax going to aid smokers in convenience! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

ksbman

Flashaholic*
For some reason 'they' are serious about lighters. We (airline mechanics) have been told that we're not allowed lighters, either. That is how I start my butatne solder iron.

But we are still allowed to carry knives and box cutters.

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
As a smoker, being able to carry matches certainly will be convenient compared to having no source of flame but if the intent is to not allow pasengers a source of flame on board, uh, I think there is a bit of a "loop hole" in the reasoning here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Other passengers would be able to smell a match being used.

MrMom

Enlightened
Quote: The sponsors of the ban, Democratic Sens. Byron Dorgan of North Dakota and Ron Wyden of Oregon, worried that a lighter might have worked.

GO FIGURE!

stringj

Newly Enlightened
Up until 9/11 I flew, at most, two times a year. I haven't and won't fly commercial again. My boss doesn't like it very much but as I am not refusing to travel, nothing has been done. I consider a knife, pen, flashlight and a lighter as tools and I was taught to be prepared. Anyplace where I am refused my desire to be prepared won't have to worry about having to frisk, scan, or otherwise question me about the status of my luggage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif This used to be a "hot topic" for me but no more as I simply no longer care.

Jerry

Darell

Flashaholic
I like lymph's idea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To be really safe, we should probably ban the use of aviation fuel.

Don, your comment about the basket and chosing at the end reminds me of (of all things!) going on a boat ride in Hawaii. They always have everybody leave their shoes dockside in a box. When we get back, I'm often tempted to upgrade my shoes.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
These people making these rules are a bunch or morons. The latest ruling proves that airports and air travel in general vave gotten to the point where it's not worth it. If I didn't have to travel occasionally for my job, I wouldn't fly at all. It's bad enough that, in my experiences, 75% of TSA are ***holes now something like this.

Hey, I got it............... how about NUDE TRAVELING ONLY. Nothing to scan, nothing to set the alarms off (except a few girls with piercings like that picture I posted), nothing to make anyone suspicious. Yea, right. Great idea, however some stupid-a** politican would decide that anal probes would then be required.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Darell,
I know where your head's at! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am reminded of the white bicycles in Holland, was it? Of course a lighter and a bike serve two different purposes; one good for you ant the other, supposedly not so go for you!

The only safe way to fly is to allow no clothing or carry on baggage what so ever. Nah, even that wouldn't be safe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Until the state of California can guarantee life eternal with no harm or unhappiness, we will have something to worry and ***** about.

The TSA are sheep dogs and the travlers, sheep. What happened to transport of people?!?!

I would really like to see an in depth economic study of the direct and indirect costs now resulting from the restrictions, enforcement and changes implimented by the TSA. Include the time lost in lines, gas burned in cars circling the airport, travel not undertaken and so on and so on. Now, compare that if you dare to the likelihood of another 911, given the fact that 911 happened and the cockpit is now locked. Is our current program cost effective? If there comes a time that our intel and read of the threat changes, will we see a disolution of the security now in place?

We have a war on terrorisim, a war on drugs, other wars I can't identify and I wonder if at some point we may not be able to fund all of these necessary wars?!? In the mean time, where's my lighter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

EDIT: Dang, Ray stole my wind!! I type too slow!

guncollector

Enlightened
Folks, if you travel often like me, carry an SASE (I use a bubble wrap envelope).

In the last 2 years, I've gone through security having forgotten prohibited items. I've mailed myself back a W/H folder and my Leatherman Micra. Once, I had to exit the secure area and go through security again, and once the TSA agent was nice enough to mail it for me.

HTH!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I also use the SASE trick. Unfortunately, the last time I needed it, the contraband was pepper spray. You can't mail pepper spray so I had to toss it in the trash.

I'm quite uneasy about reports that they will now arrest if you inadvertantly carry mace, knives, screwdrivers, etc through the security checkpoint. The last time they just made out a report and didn't even search me or my bags.

BTW, Airports and airlines are just not secure. The workers on the airline are not preopperly vetted before thay are hired, the perimeter is largely unguarded and the cargo terminals are wide open for anyone who looks like they belong. Besides, the 911 hijackings only worked because the terrorists convinced the crew that they'd be safe if everyone co-operated. The THREAT of a bomb was the tool they used, not a bomb itself.

Daniel

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I have to fly 3-4 times a year. The ritual is to strip the P38/"John wayne" and Gerber 200 from my keyring, leave the Leatherman Micra along with the NLS, and pack a Bic pen in my shirt pocket. (You can "pith" someone with a Bic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) The CR2 light was challenged once- The guy smiled and said "cool." (Fortunately, He didn't find "high beam" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif )

Any way, I have to do Providance, RI a week from Sunday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Guess I better buy some matches! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Larry

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
we don't need to ban objects from airplanes. we need to ban idiots from government.

personally, i think a much more practical solution for the traveller would be airline pilots who under-go the same training as LEO's (or @ least something similar) and a couple well-trained and armed security guards actually on the planes for every flight who lurk outside of the cockpit.

i'd feel alot safer with pilots guaranteed to be well-trained and a couple of armed security guards near the pilots @ all times and being able to keep my tools on me @ all points of the flight.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
To be really safe, we should probably ban the use of aviation fuel.

[/ QUOTE ]
BEPs(battery-electric planes)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nice idea but batteries have a way to go yet. IMHO we should replace planes with maglevs. It'll save time, avoid noise/pollution, save energy, and give the terrorists one less tool.

Since I don't smoke and don't fly this new rule doesn't affect me one bit but I'll admit it's another in a long string of asinine rules which haven't made air travel any safer.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matches are next. (PDF)
[ QUOTE ]
Separately, TSA is considering adding
all matches to the prohibited items list.
Consistent with DOT's regulation
governing the transport of hazardous
materials, TSA presently limits the type
and quantity of matches passengers may
bring on board an aircraft. Specifically,
passengers now may carry up to four
books of strike-on-cover matches on
their person or in accessible property.
Under the DOT regulation, all matches
are prohibited from carriage in checked
baggage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys won't believe this. I just heard on Armed Forces Radio that there will be someone that will collect their lighters to put in a box to give to the flight personnel . . .to be returned to them when they land.

Why can't they do this with the rest of us and the other items that we carry; oh those nasty scissors.

-LT