80 lm/W white?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
"...The new SPE LEDs, under certain operating conditions, are able to achieve more than 80 lm/W, compared to today's typical compact fluorescent lamp at 60 lm/W and a typical incandescent lamp at 14 lm/W."

Interesting,

Larry

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
These 80 lm/W are lab results. It's just the question when they are available on the retail market IF they will ever be. A few months ago I read somewhere that Nichia (and probably other big LED developing companies too) reached over 100 lm/w in their laboratories. This only predicts happy times are coming for the LED market, but we don't exactly know when these LEDs will appear on the market...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool stuff i alwasy thought florscents wehre the most eficent 80mw/w is awesume id like to see a 3 watt or 5 watt with same eficany imagine 400 lumens dreasms

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
100lm/W..

I WILL pay through the nose for one of those 5-watters to put in my Digital Ultra. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't put a "press releace" in a light, so call me when they sell it and it does what it says /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
cool stuff i alwasy thought florscents wehre the most eficent 80mw/w

[/ QUOTE ]

The reigning efficency champion is low pressure sodium HID at 200 lm/w. LEDs have a ways to go before they can match that.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
holly molly 200 lm w to bad there color is ugly if there what im thinking of but still very coool

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I was hoping Jar would see this post and prognosticate what it might extrapolate to, for us, In a couple of years, (Reading between the lines,) there's some good stuff "in the pipe!"

Larry

JanCPF

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
holly molly 200 lm w to bad there color is ugly if there what im thinking of but still very coool

[/ QUOTE ]

Year you're right raggie. Those sodium lamps has got to have the worst tint ever. Orange with a hint of pink./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif I find myself taking a detour on a dark road driving by my highbeam, rather than driving sodium lit roads.

Jan

Jan

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
80lm/W makes it more efficient than the 10W Solarc HIDs. I wonder how big the package is, ie, how many Watts to run it. I would love to run an efficient, solid-state light that is as bright as my LC100. That way I can finally stop worrying so much about the bumps and the crashes and the exhausted cells all contriving to either blow up the expensive bulb or rob it of its nominal life time.

*Retired*
I wonder if it has any relationship to this old development, or if it is another separate development:

"CREE Reveals Latest White LED Performance Results at Strategies in Light
February 8, 2005...cree, Inc. of Durham, North Carolina USA one of the undisputed "Big 5" in advanced LED manufacturing, is taking the opportunity of this week's Strategies In Light conference in Burlingame, California USA to announce their most recent breakthrough in white LED performance. The results were 100 lumens per watt and 50 percent wall-plug efficiency from standard 5 mm LEDs and maximum luminous flux of 60 lumens from its 7090 series white XLamp power LEDs operating at 350 mA."

http://www.sslighting.net/lightimes/?date=2005-02-08

One of the bad things about many HID setups, is they always exclude the converter efficiency in their lm/W ratings. It has a big impact.

Latest posts