Disney Silly Symphony Series

ledlurker

Enlightened
I used to listen to old Disney records as a kid. I can remember laying on a pillow in my bedroom for hours on end with this record going while I read, or painted pictures. I realized last year that these records probably had almost as much influence as my parents in molding my views on life.

In fact the other day my wife asked me what song I was humming while I was working in the garage. At the time I could not think of the name of the song nor the lyrics to it. It came to my that I was humming the song "The World Owes me a Living". The internet is great because a quick search I managed to find the lyrics.

I realized "for me" this song has been influential in molding my work ethic and how I spend money. My father bought these records for my older brothers in the early 60's, they were already 14 years old when I started to listen to them on my own.

For other members out there: What story, book, record or song you listened to as a kid might have influenced you to become the person you are today???

lyrics and links below:

The World Ows Me A Living

There once was an old grasshopper
who could only think of fun
He looked on work as something too
unpleasant to be done
He loved to sit in the summer sun
and fiddle all day long
While dozing there he'd play this air
And sing this little song
"Oh, the world owes me a living
Deedle-Diedle-Doedle-Diedle-Dum
"Oh, the world owes me a living
If I wored hard all day I must sleep
better when in bed at night I sleep all day
so that's allright

what the album cover looks like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1397&item=6524406789&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

interesting link on how this story is used in commentary on today's society
http://www.hjta.org/2001-11-coupalcol.htm

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I can't say that there was a single childhood tune that helped to mold my views, but I've always loved Diusney's stuff. "When you wish upon a star" was always a favorite for me - it taught be to be hopeful. My currentr ringtone is "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" partly in honor of a recent opportunity when I had the privlidge to work with some Disney folks.

I also liked Alvin and the Chipmunks (David Seville aka Ross Bagdasarian) as a child but I can't say that I learned any real lessons from them... other than to be patient for Christmas to come. Any Alvin fans will know what I mean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif