5W Mag 'D' Converter ??

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
5W Mag \'D\' Converter ??

I have a couple of Lux-V 'WX1T' stars and I want make the brightest regulated setup possible. I was thinking of using a Downboy board at 1000ma? Is 1500ma possible without major LED damage? Does it matter how many cells I use?

Thanks for any input,
Jeff

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Re: 5W Mag \'D\' Converter ??

Here's what I did with a 2D and Lux V. I think 3rd Shift has done a few of these and they work well.
Modamag 8AA>2d adapter
Georges80 CC5WB 1 Amp
Osink
Lux of your choice. Works well with a Lux III or Lux V. The Lux III gives more runtime, but the V kicks @$$
Works fine on alkalines. If you want to use nimh, be careful of their diameter. They should work fine.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

What about those nFlex boards with multiple levels of brightness? I was hoping to use a 6AA or 8AA setup.

Jeff

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jeff, I would definitely recommend using the nFlex board.
A little more work than the CC5WB but well worth the multi level.
I know you luv your Lion Heart, this will be it's big brother. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Take a look here . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

nirad

Enlightened

What about a 5W DD setup?? Is this even doable? I have been looking into waions 3AA to D cell converters running @ 9 volts. What would be a good LED to try?? I'm itchin to do a 5W M@g mod, but need some guidance.

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened

Hi nirad,a 5 watt DD is doable-I've done two so far.Use a T bin star,a 2 D Mag,and a 6AA to 2 D adapter.Member B2eze makes a heatsink/adapter that mounts the star and does the electrical connection to the pr base socket.Use a 30mm optic and a .68 ohm 1/2 watt resistor and you are good to go!This also works great in a 6 D Mag-you can build a 3x5 watt!

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
xpitxbullx said:
I have a couple of Lux-V 'WX1T' stars and I want make the brightest regulated setup possible. I was thinking of using a Downboy board at 1000ma? Is 1500ma possible without major LED damage? Does it matter how many cells I use?

Thanks for any input,
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Just gimme a couple days pb.
I also sneaked in and got one of those WX1T's
I'm going to mount mine in a sn2 clone light and find out what resistor to use for best effect.
I'll be trying a 1 ohm to see if that's ok.
I'll just have to sand down the Osink mounting pit a bit to be double sure the led slug is in fact in solid contact with the osink.
Otherwise, I might suggest using a 5D maglight direct drive on nimh D 11,000mah cells for a nice all night bright led flashlight.
My 1st mod in fact was a W bin on a hotlips in a 5d last September.
I'm still really happy with that one to this day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Oh, regulated?
Nflex in a 3D with 9 2500mah AA batteries, pure and simple.
Keep it under 1001 milliamps though if you are going to play with this thing often.
Even 700 milliamps in the best setup is rated for a pitiful (by led standards) 500 hours.
Be kinda a shame to let a collectible early 21st century led flashlight go to waste before it had a chance to become valuable.