For you guys having Comcast internet problems

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our service was out the past 3 nights plus 1 night last week. I searched their website today from work and found help from another user. Print this link for reference:

Comcast help forum

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
not being a comcast subscriber at the moment (I was at a previous house though) and thinking about being one again in the future now that they are pulling new cable through the neighborhood I'd sure like to know what was up and how to work around it for the future. However I don't have a signon ID for their help forum there.

Care to summarize for us?

Thanks!

Empath

Flashaholic
James, the solution suggested by the link, which does require a Comcast login, is to simply choose a couple of public DNS servers until the problem blows over.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think one could take any major ISP and take potshots at them, including cable, DSL, dialup and WISPs. They all have their bad technology days. It does seem that Comcast should have done more in terms of owning up to it though.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
But if we just use the IP addresses of the websites, that would have worked too, right? How do we find out what these numbers are for each site we frequently visit?

Mark

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I should be defending Comcast or not but to be fair- I have had good service from them up to this point.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it was just some DNS issues. They should be able to sort that out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Minjin, in most cases the IP address won't work very well. depends on the site. A single IP address can host any number of websites. The name of the site you're requesting is actually sent in the headers to the server so that it knows which site to send back to you even if many are on the same server.

And often people dont use relative addresses for everything and there will be links or re-directs that use the name which will then break.

but if you know the IP and can put it into your own hosts file on your local computer, then it would get you around the problem for that website. We had to do that here once when the dns info for cpf got fmirkled once.

I had fine service from them when I was a user at our previous house. Every company managing something that complex is eventually going to have some issues. The important thing is how quickly can they get it sorted out and how good are they are communicating with their clients about the problem.

Saaby

Flashaholic
We had brownouts here too. Need to get Comcast out, our cable runs a little slow and drops a little more often than it should and I suspect that if they came out it would all be fixed, but it's not too bad so we don't call /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Honestly though, our cable internet has been dead reliable. It's been on 24/7/365 for the past 4 years probably, and out out of those 4 years we've probably been without service for about 60 hours, including both the @home to attbi, and attbi to comcast transfers.