Just got a Princeton Tec Attitude

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Well, my wife decided she would claim my grey CMG Infinity for herself, so I went out to buy another one. I picked up a black one with a white LED, but I also picked up a Princeton Tec Attitude. The look of the translucent plastic sort of turned me off, but I decided to get it anyway. Once I got home, I installed the batteries to try it out and I was impressed. This light is growing on me more and more. The only problem I have is that there's a small grey object that's loose in the LED module causing an annoying little rattle. Is this normal?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think the pellet is a catalyst to neutralize the gasses emitted by the battery, which is a good idea considering how well the light is sealed!

i have 4 attitudes, and really like them. i didnt like the back-spill of light form 3 of them, so i painted the area near the bezel black--cured!

i also ran a runtime test, and found that after 5 hours, it appeared only a little dimmer--still producing 33 lux. impressive indeed for a $17 light!

Bob

dirobesh

Enlightened
Tell me about it - the number of times I've checked my surge to see if the bulb's somehow come loose....

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I looked at a review of the PT Attitude on torchreviews.net and it does confirm that "a platinum catalyst pellet is present in the LED module to prevent gases released naturally by the batteries from building up inside the sealed body."

here's a link to the review:
http://torchreviews.net/attitude.htm

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Cosmic Superchunk:
Princeton Tec Attitude.

I installed the batteries to try it out and I was impressed. This light is growing on me more and more.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A great little light!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

lightnix

Enlightened
It's growing on me too, very quickly. It may not be the most sophisticated light on the market or the best looking, but it strikes me as a fantastic little "workhorse". It's nice and bright, very waterproof, highly impact resistant, with a long battery life, not too heavy and not too big.

The only thing that spoils it for me is the translucent case, which makes it look a little cheap and "plasticky". The backward glow from the head is also a bit of a distraction. Otherwise, I reckon it makes a great replacement for a Mini Maglite.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Originally posted by Mr_Sesmesesles:
It's growing on me too, very quickly. It may not be the most sophisticated light on the market or the best looking, but it strikes me as a fantastic little "workhorse". It's nice and bright, very waterproof, highly impact resistant, with a long battery life, not too heavy and not too big.The only thing that spoils it for me is the translucent case, which makes it look a little cheap and "plasticky". The backward glow from the head is also a bit of a distraction. Otherwise, I reckon it makes a great replacement for a Mini Maglite.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree. Now that I have my new PT Attitude I could never go back to a Mini-Maglite (unless I got the Opalec LED module to upgrade it). I really like the feel of the PT Attitude. My model is one of the red handled ones, but the backward glow doesn't really bother me that much, although I would have preferred a solid (non-translucent)handle.

FlameOn

Enlightened
I have a black one also...great little light..thanks to all you guys who helpd me decide on how to spend my dive shop certificate...used my other certificate for a photon...in both cases I was charged too much but it was free money...

bewshy

Newly Enlightened
Watch out. I bought one and it ended up in my fiancees room. She denied that she took it.

"Oh you left it here..."

"My $%^ I did!"
smile.gif

Needless to say she's the owner of it now, along with a few of my knives and other lights.

Its a good light. We've even used it underwater at the Colorado River. You'll like it!

eb

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you dont like the backspill of light, i THINK the body is interchangeable with the rage, which is not transparent.

of course, i simply painted mine with krylon enamel spraypaint--works well so far.

also, my first attitude has the red body, which doesnt seem to back spill as brightly as the black or yellow. perhaps the red is less distracting/irritating.

Bob

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I had to chime in with a thumbs up for the Attitude. Mine has probably the cleanest, ring and blotch free beam of any of my lights. A triumph of simplicity, utility, and reasonable cost.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple Attitudes and love them. I painted the 'reflector' part of the LA with glow-nail polish and that helps a little of the back spill, plus it glows like crazy!

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Flying Turtle:
...A triumph of simplicity, utility, and reasonable cost.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Very nicely said! ...and true!

The backspill from the light has never bothered me (and my wife and I treasure our night vision quite a lot). Although, it is correct that the Rage body is interchangeable (I have one)...but continue to use the Attitude body. One thing that just seems to work for this light is the brightness level. Bright enough for just about all flashlight tasks, but dim enough not to overwhelm its use as a task light.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 Attitudes attached to my retractable dog leash, and I agree with the others that it is a nice little light BUT,

If I had to do it over again, I would have purchased 3 Streamlight Clipmates. I like the clipmates a little better because:

1. Removing the Optional Clip on the Clipmate, makes the light a little lighter and smaller than the Attitude (3, AAA vs 4 AAA batteries, and the LED's are supposed to run a 4.5 V, so the 4th battery is just restistored away).

2. Cheaper than the Attitude.

3. No splashback light.

4. REFLECTIVE inside bezel puts out more light where you want it, and the appearance is brighter than the Attitude. This is a big plus.

5. The Clipmate is nearly flat on one side, Allowing you to still attach or velcro it to something (like my retractable dog leash).

6. Rubber bezel head makes it easier to turn.

7. Smaller lens has less surface to get scratched, and is more recessed than the Attitude. Might not be a problem for some, but my dog leash has been dropped plenty of times.

7. Same, 3 LED design as the Attitude.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technically speaking, the 5 mm white LEDs usually work at around 3.6 volts. Not 4.5 volts