EV1 Stock Motor Drag racing 69mph 1/8th mile

*Retired*
Best quarter-mile time was 15.774 seconds.

The single-speed drive and original electric motor were
retained without modification.

69.57 miles per hour in the first one-eighth of a mile. Surprisingly, almost all of the acceleration occurred in the first half of the race.

Tire traction and open differential limited results.
http://www.maxwell.com/pdf/uc/papers/UC_power_for_drag_racecar.pdf

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
YOu think Darrel would have something to add to this. I know electric motors will putout 400% their specs if pushed and you do not burn them out or in the case of a PM motor, dislodge a magnet. I cant wait for a dual winding motor with a built in high low or maybe a brushless motor altogether?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
My car would walk all over that past 1/8th mile, but for stop light races I bet that thing smokes off the line!! Especially would smoke me with my tall gearing (1st goes to 45mph, 2nd at 85mph, 3rd & 4th???)

EDIT: I wonder if it has traction issues? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know my car does. I don't like FWD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I wish I had RWD, or even AWD.

*Retired*
Darell, where are you?

Isaac, you have to keep your car in one gear to be fair.

I think this thing would blow you away in the single gear race. Would be interesting to see what it could do if it was geared.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

...or maybe a brushless motor altogether?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the motors in the EV1 and Rav 4 EV (and probably both the motor/generator in the Prius) are brushless.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yup, rav4ev and Prius are both AC and brushless.

I get the impression that the EV1 mentioned in the original post ran out of juice
towards the end of the run. The article said something about the voltage falling under the voltage that it should be for the controller they used. That was towards the end of the race.

I'm pretty sure that the stock EV1 (with either battery style) would have done as well as this one with it's super capacitor. The goal, after all, was simply to show that the super capacitor was capable of running a 1/4 mile race.

Personally, I don't see it as a very useful experiment. The results they got were exactly what would have been expected, and have very little (if any) application in the real world beyond what was already known.

The T-Zero would blow the doors off super capacitor equipt EV1 in every way. Even the charge time would probably be similar, since the EV1 only stored enough energy for one quick 1/4 mile run.

Daniel

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The suck amps webpage has one heck of a setup with three motors. One for each rear wheel direct drive and a third one hooked to a vw transmission to the front wheels.