stupid question on grills

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i cant find the info on this any where i found a old grill a old small weber well it has vents on botme and top do i open em? its charcoal grill ill make chiken legs

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like this?
cg_ot_s185_195.jpg

B00005JD39.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bottom vnts let in air to help the coals burn. The top vents you close when it is good and hot for smoking purposes. If it gets too hot you can close the bottom vents. Don't forget your charcoal chimney don't use lighter fluid.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool ty and its the bottom grill but is missing legs and that dish thing on botem i hade a stand outa sheeet metal

MoonRise

Enlightened
Ahhh, the manly art of grilling.

It depends. Do you want to cook using direct heat (think of a hamburger directly over the hot coals) or indirect heat (think southern bar-b-que style cooking, more like cooking in an outdoor oven and the heat is all around the food).

With the lid on the grill, you can open and close the vents to make the "oven" hotter or cooler a little bit. To make it much hotter, you need to add more fuel (charcoal).

For chicken legs, you can pre-cook them a bit by simmering them in some water first, and then you finish them off on the grill. Or you can just use the grill like an outdoor oven and 'bake' the legs until done.

You can go simple with just cooking the food, or you can get creative with sauces, or set up the grill like a smoker chamber, or do all sorts of things. Experiment a bit and have fun with it. Just remember to practice safe cooking, don't want to get sick from bad food.

Check out Food Network for recipes and ideas, etc.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man i just messed up i ised a sheet metal pipeing for ac for bottem but it will block botem vent .dang i thought i saved 10 bucks on the grill.the other grill is only 8 but it has no top

Darell

Flashaholic
One word of warning: In a grill that size, you'll want to first be SURE That the legs are removed from the chicken. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i was going to bye another part a chciken that was 69 per pound it had leg atached but i got thease for 99 which was to much i think

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol that would require a lot of charcoal to,i still have to get charccoal i bet ostrch is good but man ya would need like 40 people to eat on leg

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
just had to check out this thread to see if it was about girls-

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
One word of warning: In a grill that size, you'll want to first be SURE That the legs are removed from the chicken. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? will they run away? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
You have to learn the fine art of "Chicken Whispering", either that or ya' have to tie em' down real good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i never got to grill
my yahoo freind pm ed me and we argued about how she looks no matter how many times i said she looks good she said she dont lol i have head ache

raggie33

*the raggedier*
welll istarted like at 7 pm im still at it lol i stink at charcoal and chicken

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i oficaly hate charcoal.darn thing never got hot enough i had both vents wide open. but it never got hot i could hold handle where chciken was cooking for like 20 seconds almost

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could hold the back of your hand over the cooking grates for more than 6 seconds, the coals are not hot enough

Since getting a gas grill, I've never had problems but if I can remember a few tips.

Anyway, what you want to do first is get the fire going fast so you have 20 mins for it to heat. The grill should already be hot before you dump the chicken on. You can test how hot it is by holding you hand right over the grate and counting the seconds until it's too hot to hold.

2 seconds – it's hot, about 375 degrees or more
3 seconds – it's medium-hot, about 350 to 375 degrees
4 seconds – it's medium, about 300 to 350 degrees
5 seconds – it's low, about 200 to 300 degrees

Anyway, I cook peices of chicken on medium hot. If you're roasting the whole chicken, use low. Keep an eye on it every once in a while to make sure there are no flareups (If there is, I usually move it a little to the side where it's not directly above the heat. It's up to you how well done you want your chicken and what sauce or seasoning you want to put on it.

Hint; I like using the charcoal with mesquite when I'm cooking chicken. Gives it a little spiced flavor.