Anyone know how to get Gap Insurance to work

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I trashed my car back in July last year (It was posted and I kept it). I've been happily paying my payments waiting for the gap insurance claim to finish up. After collecting tons of minuate and drivel that the company needed in October I was finished collecting data. The company administrating (none are insurance companies) the "policy" handed it off to another administrator. They completed their analysis and handed it to the company to pay in December last year. They have not paid yet and no company has any control over those they subcontract in this endeavour (?) and I can not allegedly receive the name of the third party who is currently sitting on the claim. I have been told that they could take forever to pay. I was also challenged and encouraged to file papers with my State Attorney General compalint division as they are certain they will have it so obfuscated they will not be forced to give me the data I desire.

I have went back to the dealer and told them point blank that if this does not get fixed I will not use them again nor can I recommend them for car sales in the future since the gap claim company was chosen by them, not me.

No one in the chain cares and they have employed what I termed "Compartmentalized Avoidance of Responsibilty" (T) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In three months I will have paid off the car to keep my credit stable (I'm thick but not that stupid to stop paying) and will have to fight the bank I'm sure to get reimbursed when they do finally pay.

Makes one want to spedball crack and whisky and lay back and chill.

Maybe we need a subforum in the cafe for crotchety crumedgeons to rant in. Thanks.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
Call you state attorney general's office and ask for assistance. Most insurance is handled by another office, due to interstate issues, but the AG's office should be able to help you out; point you to the correct office to file a formal complaint.

Obviously, they are fraudulently failing to pay the claim, and that is a crime, so the AG may be interested.

A letter from the AG's office is often enough to shake loose the @sshole sitting on your claim.

In my state, the Interstate Commerce Commission regulates most insurance. Check you phone book for your local office

Good Luck.... and don't be afraid to be an @sshole youself to get your claim. Push hard against those deadbeats!!!!!

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My AG recommends filing a complaint although they are pretty sure they haven't much leverage. These compaines are not insurance companies but administrators. That way they avoid insurance company regulations.

I did go back to the dealer and informed them that since they chose the initial gap claim company, not me that it now has become their problem. The problem gets fixed or I do not consider them a potential future dealer for me and I would have to recommend that they not be used by my friends and associates. That got a call back from the assistant manager informing me he has not heard from the food chain yet. When I tried this approach with the finance guy at the dealer in the past I got nothing. I told the assistance manager that if he forwarded this to the finance guy that would be a deal breaker.