MadMax Question

Mrd 74

Enlightened
I saw a post yesterday where someone said that their MadMax worked with one AAA and a dummy battery.If this is so, could the Mini M*# not be shortened to hold one cell and still work?

Mrd 74

Enlightened
Rothrandir
Any idea how bright? Might be worth sacrificing an old Mini-mag body to make a key chain light.Wonder what it could be compared to(brightness) and how long it would last.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be about 75% as bright as using 2aa because mm is regulated.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i don't know how bright, but as shiftd said, it is regulated, and also has a lower dropof value than many regulated lights, giving you more brigthness from deader batts.

it would be worth if for the coolness factor alone i think. if not, then your only out about $8.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Originally posted by shiftd:
It would be about 75% as bright as using 2aa because mm is regulated.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Although the Madmax is regulating...it regulates voltage, not current. Led's like constant current, not voltage, since some led's vary so much in output with just a slight variation in voltage.... (that's why lots of people prefer the badboy, which is a constant current regulator).

However, the madmax is very efficient, and since it can run on lower voltages, it's a good candidate for this. Your light won't be as bright, but it should still be decent. Use a AA nimh battery (which has a very flat discharge curve), and you'll get more "predictable" performance on just one sell--you'll see more 'constant light output' compared to an alkaline.