2AA flashlight recommendation for Badboy?

Tim_K

Newly Enlightened
After much consideration and input from the LED gurus, I have finaly decided to bite the bullet and go with a 400ma Badboy instead of the inertech 2AA adapter. I just placed an order for the Badboy, so my next question is, what do you guys recommend as the lucky flashlight that will house this little baby? Originaly I heard people say M*g 2AA but then there are others who say the Brinkmann Legend 2AA because it is better desgined(indeed, I like the push switch at the end of the flashlight) So which one has a higher rate of success, probleam free conversion? Also where can I get them online or localy? I live in Seattle, Washington State.

thanks

Tim

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick! Email Wayne and ask to add a Kroll tailcap switch to your order. Here's why:

THe Minim^g, I must admit is a very solidly built flashlight. You have choices of colors (I prefer silver) and you can customize with the accessory pack. And the Kroll is excellent for one handed use.

light me

Newly Enlightened
Tim,

I was in the same boat as you were when I did a BB400 mod. (My first serious one of several that followed.) I was going to mod the mini mag but changed my mind and went the Brinkmann route. I think it was the better choice, given the tail switch and lock-out feature. No accidental situations where the light happily drains the batteries while you walk around all day with it stuffed into a pocket or something. Fitting the optics and the Luxeon module was a piece of cake. The most difficult part (which really isn't all that difficult), as it would with both lights, was removing the stock light receptical. The Brinkmann's needs to have some locking tabs, 3 I think, pressed inward while applying pressure to push the assembly out through the tail of the battery housing. The BB then goes back in through the tail.
I must say you won't regret this mod. I've had zero problems and it's an insanely bright little bugger now.

I've found the Brinkmann Legend readily available at most Fred Meyer's stores in the H/W section, usually under $10. In fact, I saw several of them on the rack tonight at the one in Redmond.

Happy Modding!

Mike.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know because I don't have a Brinkman but my BB400 in the MM with the Kroll is really great. The two Krolls I have take a very determined push to activate and I've had no problems with accidental activations while carrying it. The MM with BB and Kroll is a wonderful combination!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BB500/Mag was my first real LED,
I tried to find a Brinkman but alas, there were none around here. Snatched the Mag and installed the BB500 with the Kroll tailswitch. Wow!
blush.gif
) That little light is BRIGHT! I have it mounted on my bicycle helmet so I can look at drivers so they can see my beam (prevents getting run over) My 18-red LED flasher protects my butt and after awhile, the 5W Cyan Mag will do frame-mounted light duty.
You will love your new light, it leads to more LED light buying so be careful!
grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the few benefits of the minim$g is that if you decide to put it on candle mode, its head will make a nice stand, pending if you take the NX05 out first. But I find this quite useful when I need a candle for a room without light.

Other than that, the LOTC of the Brinkmann is a much better feature for overall use. Personally, both are great hosts for this awesome drop-in module...

Tim_K

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, thanks for all of your inputs, I went out this monring and grabbed two Brinkmann Legends from local REI store, one for Mod and another one incase the first one breaks or just as a regular incandescent light, just loved the push switch, one hand operation, awesome, now I just have to suffer through the painful and agonizing wait for my BB to arrive, but when it does arrive, I will be ready
grin.gif

about the candle mode of the lights, I think Brinkmann can do that pretty satisfactory as well, sure its not as stable as the M*g, but it still works.

By the way, what is that retainer ring thingy that's included in the mod kit for? how do I use it?

Tim

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You put the retainer ring in right after the sandwich... It's supposed to prevent the sandwich from falling out when you change batteries...

Just push it in with your fingers, then use the negative end of a battery to push it all the way to the sandwich, and then maybe use a pen or something long to snug it securely behind the sandwich so that it doesn't rattle... Presto...

Of course, if you're not comfortable putting it in, then you don't have to. I find it a bit hard, but not impossible, to take the ring out. I just use a small hook on a pencil...

Tim_K

Newly Enlightened
also anyone know what happened to

http://home.attbi.com/~theledguy/cpf_store/sandwiches.htm

? I went there to order the BB 400ma last night, the graphics are out but I thought it was just a bad connection or something so I go ahead and ordered the thing, paid with paypal and didn't give it anymore thought, but I just went to the site today and the graphics are still out and now when I tried to go to the home page, it showed an ATT page saying the page can't be found, did the site move to another URL?

Tim

light me

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Larry R. Pace:
Light Me....what is your run time with the mod? Thanks!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Larry,
I haven't really done any hard-core runtime analysis of the BB400. I'm on first set of batteries (AA alkalines) and have probably used it for about 2-3 hours intermittently. It still seems just as bright if I pop in a fresh set or use the existing cells. I'd guess the regulation is at work. Your mileage will probably vary depending if it's a constant 'burn' time or with NiMh cells or lithiums.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mike.