No Light! Modded KL1 + Balrog1.5 + 2-stageMcGizmo

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
The light toppled over and just stopped working. I've tested the head and the 2-stage tailcap on my wife's E1E and they work fine... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

So I can't understand how it can just be the body after the flashlight fell over on the floor. I've previously dropped it from a couple of feet many times with no ill effects.

I've cleaned the threads on all parts too in case dirtiness was the problem.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Could it be just that dropping it coincided in some bizarre way with needing some fresh conducting lube?

Any help much appreciated.

Chris

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Aloha,

I don't have the 1.5 body, but I do have the 3cell body.....

When I first got the body I found the Z52 to work just fine but had problems with the Z57. I got the Z57 to work by stretching the spring slightly. I think the Balrog (at least the 3 cell has a little play inside the tube).

You said both items worked on the E1e body...so I would check 2 things.

1. Make sure the positive end of the battery did not get dimpled...if you droped the light on the head.

2. Stretch the spring slightly in the tail cap...this may also get compressed if you drop the light on the tail end.

Thats the only thing I can think of...the electrical path is disrupted to the body somewhere.

Good luck

Aloha

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Bill - sorry for not replying earlier - been abroad for a few weeks so only just checked the forums again.

Will try your suggestions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,

Chris

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also depending on the KL1 there is a ridge around the + contact that sometimes interferes with a battery making contact. Some have trimmed it off others have gone the solder blob route. Take a look in the Balrog Bodies thread for more ideas.

-LT

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I have a problem making a connection with a light with a Surefire head the first thing I do is stuff a thin ring of aluminium foil in the thread rim in the bezel. The aluminium always make a connection and I'm permanently ready to go.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chrisWELD said:
The light toppled over and just stopped working.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. So what kind of mod is it?

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Trueblue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif tried that and nothing, but I think (maybe just imagining it) but when I disassemble again, the alu foil seems a little warm.

I've already tried both the bezel and tailcap on a KL1 bodie with a CR123 and it works fine. Some weirdness with the threads of this Balrog 1.5....

I've also tried different Pila's, which I know work fine in my M3, so it's not the batts.

Owen - the mod is KL1+1W LS R2H/ S017XA+Balrog1.5+Mc2ES. Brighter LED, new reflector and 2-stage tailcap, powered by a Pila 150S.

Reptilezs - thanks for the tip. Tried some other Pilas which I know work, but still no joy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyone else any other suggestions? This little one was my EDC so now I'm lightless on a day-day basis...

Chris
Thanks for the

Topper

Flashaholic*
Have you tried conductive Nyogel (or other conductive grease?) I have a Balrog 1.5 body that has worked fine
for me. "Surefireparts" on Ebay sells Nyogel the conductive and nonconductive. He is jcciv here at CPF.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: No Light! Modded KL1 + Balrog1.5 + 2-stageMcGi

I suspect there is some gap or impediment in your ground path, somewhere. Try putting the battery in the tube and the head on. Use a bent paper clip or other metal device to contact the rear (-) contact on the battery as well as the rear lip of the battery tube and see if the light lights up. If yes, your problem is at the rear of the battery tube. If no, the problem is at the head to tube connections.