Saw a flashlight on CSI

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got back from a friends house tonight, and we were watching a taped episode of CSI...i think it was Monday's episode.

Anyway, about 10 minutes into the show, they had a scene where investigators were combing the scene using UV LED flaslights. What was interesting about the lights, though, were what was attatched to them. They had some kind of reddish plastic filter attached above the flashlight, so that the UV can illuminate the surrounding while the investigators look through the "window-pane" filter. I don't know what it did exactly (because i was playing PS2 while it was on), but i did catch a glimpse of it turning everything into a "negative"...if you know what i mean.

Pretty interesting stuff...do you know what it was?

Tomas

Banned
It's called a "Wood's Light" and the orange filter blocks the near-ultraviolet blue light while allowing the flourescense of objects to be seen clearly.

The objective is to keep the intense blue light from distracting or covering up the effects of the ultraviolet on the target.

tomsig02.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

EDIT: Quick recommendation: Cheap "Blu-Blocker" type sunglasses (or most other amber lensed glasses) are a really good substitute, and help a lot in spotting flourescense ...

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I NEED to get a UV light...they sound like so much fun. I wonder what i could uncover with UV...i've never had my own UV light source before.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
If you are merely looking to see what you could uncover...Frank at countycomm.com "had" (don't know if it's still current) had a nice little keychain "photon clone" UV for $5. I purchased one..had fun looking at credit cards, U.S. paper money, and the carpet in my house (wooaaaaah, wait till you look at your carpet!)...so then I had to get an ARC UV "for more power, bigger beam", that was pretty spendy...now I'm thinking about getting one from InReTech for the ole' MM@g.

Just a toy for me, not actually practical "yet". My neighbors have just got to "wonder" what the heck I'm doing walking around outside looking at rocks with it!

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
THanks Tomas for the info! I'll research more info on the "Wood's Light". It looked really cool on TV....I don't think i'll ever use something like that though.
grin.gif