Surefire E1e with KL1

CaptainD

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire E1e.I was thinking about getting a KL1 led head for it.The question is,does the KL1 led head have any throw to the beam?.I like the throw of the incandesant bulb but like the durability of the led.Is the KL1 more a flood or tight beam ?.

vhyper007

Enlightened
Hi CaptainD,
Welcome to CPF. If you have a 4th gen KL1 then you have one hell of a thrower. I actually should lie and tell you it is a POS and offer to take it off your hands but that is not the prevailing spirit here. The great, great majority of posting is to help other lovers of the light.

What you have is aka TW4 and it is a damn fine light with awesome throw from 1x123.

Keep it or give me first refusal of the head.

Welcome and go ahead and open your wallet, ck book, credit card, certificates of deposit, muni bonds, T-bonds, get a second job, learn how to lie to your S/O. Get the idea?

Yours truly,
vhyper007

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings CaptainD!

I got a homemade E1L (E1e+KL1) and its great. It definitely is a thrower. Not much in the way of spill but if your into throw this is the one to get. Beware my friend. If you get the KL1 now you will have an extra bezel crying out for company. The extra parts will lead you to buy more parts to make the extras complete. It is a visious cycle...

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
vhyper007 said:

"What you have is aka TW4 and it is a damn fine light with awesome throw from 1x123."

I believe that a TW4 is actually the E1e body with an L4 head on it, not the KL1.

I have the latest KL1 that I use on an E1e or E2e body. I think it nearly throws the same as the incandescent E2e. They are a little different (color, beamspread, etc) but the setup could be looked at as an LED version of the the E2e. The main benefit is you will get longer runtime that is regulated.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, i know it's called the e1l, but it doesn't have a "special" sound for it. besides, what if i stick on a old kl1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok... I like the E1L how it is.. I bought a Kl1 on the 24th of December and recently( a few months ago) purchased a 4th gen. Kl1. (From a CPFer)

It is a WONDERFUL combination.. I love the throw.

-tom

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current interation of the KL1 is a decent LED attachment for the money. The E1L is what it is, and that is a small light that will cast a beam out to medium ranges. The only drawback to the 4th generation KL1 is the lack of any useable sidespill. Almost all of the light is focuses into the hotspot which makes the light difficult to use close up.

A light's usefulness is not defined by its ability to throw, unless that is what you want. If you can find a 3rd generation KL1 with a high dome luxeon in it, I think that you will be better served by it for most situations. It has a more conventional beam pattern consisting of a hotspot accompanied by a good amount of sidespill.

The 3rd generation KL1s run at about 350mA and the 4th gen. KL1s run at about 500mA, but the difference in total light output is hardly noticeable. You'll also get a longer runtime with the 3rd gen. KL1.

You might also consider getting a Q3. For the cost of the 4th gen. KL1, you could get the Q3 and mod it with a premium bin luxeon. The output is rather nice.

I do have to say that the 4th gen. KL1 is built like a tank. I just find the beam to be a bit lacking.