Best Firefox Extensions

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
What have you found to be the most useful firefox extensions? I'm always looking for good ones. Here's my list:

All-in-one Gestures: Mouse gestures. I got hooked on mouse gestures with opera, and this extension gets you the same thing, but more extensible. Once you get used to mouse gestures, you'll never go back to having to click icons and menus to do things like go forward or back, open or close windows or tabs, etc.

Adblock: Lets you click on an ad and block it from showing up. An of the sites I look at that have ads, I often do this to ads that flash.

googlebar: lets you run a host of google things from a bar in firefox

Opendownload: don't remember exactly what this did, I think it gave me options on what I want to do with a download

Image-show-hide: Like Opera's camera icon, it lets me turn images on and off in a window. Unfortunately, unlike opera, this thing turns images on and off for the entire window; opera lets you do it on a tab-by-tab basis

Autocopy: lets you do unix-style copying, where all you have to do is highlight something and it gets moved to the clipboard. You don't have to highlight it and then open the menu to pick "copy", ala standard MS window apps.

Disable targets for downloads: prevents downloads from opening a blank window or tab.

Bookmark backup: backs up your bookmarks to the directory you specify, on a periodic basis.

Download Manager Tweak: lets me choose how the download screen appears. I chose to open the download screen as a separate tab, in the background (i.e., a new tab opens up with the download screen in it, but the new download tab is not foregrounded, so I stay in my current tab).

I'm a bit dissatisfied with the tabbed functionality, I know there are some other tab manager extensions ou there, which I'm considering as well.

Joe

auriga

Newly Enlightened
Mouse gestures and Undo Closed Tabs. Haven't used undo close tab in awhile thou, it's great, but for me it frequently crashes all Firefox versions from 1.00 and newer.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run the following extensions:

BugMeNot: Bypasses web registration to certain sites, such as news sources that you would otherwise have to subscribe to.

Clone Winow: When I click the "new tab" button, it duplicates what I already have open.

Download Manager Tweak: Pretty much self-explanatory.

Adblock: Gets rid of certain adds.

Gmail Notifier: Notifies me when I have a new e-mail for my Gmail account. Also displays the number of new e-mails in my inbox on the status bar.

Single Window: Opens everything into new tabs, rather then windows. Unless of course, I manually open a new window.

Image Zoomer: Adds a zoom-in/zoom-out function to the right-click menu.

ForecastFox: Adds a local weather forecast to my status bar, that is very customizeable.

WebmailCompose: When I click an e-mail link it automatically opens up a Gmail compose tab, rather than my computer's default Outlook program.

About site: Adds a host of information about websites accessible from the right-click menu.

DictionarySearch: Highlight something, and then right click it and you can select to run it through dicionary.com.

GooglePreview: Adds a small preview picture of all websites on the google search screen. It is able to be disabled from the status bar.

MapIt!: Highlight and right-click an address and from the right-click menu you can run it through mapquest.com.

Disable Targets for Downloads: Disables downloads from opening in new, blank windows.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I also use the ctc extension which essentially add close tab to the right click context menu. Handy when you don't want to move your mouse up to the tab bar itself.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I use many of the previously mentioned extentions, here are some others I use.

Add Bookmark Here - allows you to bookmark a page directly into a folder. Saves on the occassional maintenance bookmarks.

IEview - There's still web sites that only work right with IE, this makes it a one-click operation to view in IE.

FireFTP - An FTP client with just enough features. Works perfectly for me to upload photos to my webspace on my ISP (things like my avatar and sigline pictures for example).

TRC

Newly Enlightened
I have FireFox, but tend to use Opera more. Where do you get the FireFox extensions?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
TRC: I liked Opera better until I discovered the extensions. The extensibility of Firefox is really nice.

To find the extensions, just do a google search on the extension names listed. Add "Firefox" to the list if you have to, but it's pretty easy to find any of these.

drizzle

Enlightened
I have many loaded. The two I use the most are:

ForecastFox - I just wish you could have more than one location at a time.

Calculator - This thing rocks! Super convenient and powerful. Nice units conversion built in.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I'm not sure that everyone knows this, so here goes. In Firefox, you can open a new tab instead of a new window to view a page. Yeah, right, big deal. Well, it really works nicely in conjunction with the scroll wheel on your mouse. If you scroll-wheel click on a link, voila!, it opens the desired page in a new tab. When you're done, just scroll-wheel click on the tab and bingo, it's gone. Works for me.

cy

Flashaholic
my fav is not an extension, but a new theme.

little firefox reduces size of icons to re-claim valuable desktop space.

using little firefox in conjunction with customizing menu bar feature into one bar greatly increases useable screen area.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as themes go, I use Noia Extreme. Just looks really nice, IMO.

FYI, Mozilla just released Firefox 1.0.3. Easiest way to get it is probably to go to the "tools" menu, then to "options." Click the "advanced" tab and then open up the "Software Update" section.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I use the skypilot theme myself... and turn off text headings and it reduces the footprint of the top bars to rather little.

Zigzago

Enlightened
If you develop web pages, ColorZilla is a useful extension. It gives you an eyedropper icon and when you activate it, you can point at any colored area on your browser screen and see the RGB and hex codes for that color.

loalight

Enlightened
One of my favorite extensions which hasn't been mentioned here is Session Saver: preserves your windows, tabs, and each tab's history through shutdowns, restarts and crashes. Like a workspace manager for FireFox. I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon11.gif it.