I did something I hope will not be bad

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
Hello all

I just came back from an auto auction and this 1994 thunderbird v8 followed me home.
Overall it's in good shape, but has high milliage.
No service engine lights, but the abs light comes on, and it hesitates and idles low.
I got this to hopefull resell and use as a tool to educate my self on 2 things, 1, don't make knee jerk buys at auto auctions and 2 , too get to learn more on how the systems in a car work. I do some times like a chalange and I think I may have found one. any one have any ideas before I get my paws greasy?

I have some limited experance so I am not totaly flying blind

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool man!!! I love t-birds! I don't really know what you'd want to do with it specifically, but good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Start with a service manual, and an on board diagnostics reader. It may give you more info about that ABS light.

I hope you checked that the "service engine" light is not just burned out.

Good luck with the new toy.

Daniel

LightChucker

Enlightened
Now, there is a "money pit", more like a "black hole".

I have always loved to tinker with cars; but that was way back when I was young and healthy.

Good luck and have fun!

Chuck

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
..."followed me home"! Ha! Wish my wife would fall for "that one"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
the abs light may just mean the pads are worn or you are low on brake fluid.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

maybe you will be able to fix it.... the oxy sensor mite be dead, the ABS might be low on fluid etc..... the possibillities are endless.good idea to check the diag. port.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get cheap diag computers cheaply at most auto stores. Older cars you just use a paper clip in a few pins of the plug, turn the key off and on three times or some other tecnique or a button you press behind the glove box.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
Hmm, The orginal owner did not have the air intake tube connected to the throttle body correctly, this left a rather large gap allowing air to bypass the MAF sensor, that will cause problems!
I do have a scan tool and reset a lean mixture code that did light the "service engine light" after a while but there may be other ishues, I wish I had a better scan tool but can't justify a true mulithousand dollor tool (unless it has a built in HID light).
Thanks for the tips.

Latest posts