SF square vs rounded opinions wanted

AlanS

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. Bought my first Surefire light, an A2, a couple of weeks ago. It has what I think is the newest of the old style bodies: four flat sides with the slightly crenelated bezel.

I absolutely love this light, but I've been hearing about a newer body with three rounded sides, and if its grip feels much more wonderful I could probably still exchange mine. For what it's worth, I've got large hands, and usually hold the light cigar style.

Any opinions? I thought I saw only one post on the subject where the person preferred the old shape, and I haven't yet seen any photos of the new style yet.

Thanks,

Alan

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the newer body style, and will not pay for a Surefire without it. I have always preferred rounded edges on my equipment, and have gone to great lengths to round edges where possible. It really is a personal preference though. I don't believe there is a lot of functional difference for most uses.

Here is a pic of my A2:
a27db.jpg

Scott

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

AlanS

Newly Enlightened
That was fast, thanks. I appreciate the photo!

I like the look of yours better, but wonder if mine might feel more solid in the hand, at least when gripping between the index and middle fingers?

Still interested in others' opinions as well...

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
"wonder if mine might feel more solid in the hand, at least when gripping between the index and middle fingers? . . ."

That is one of the slight differences. The square body section provides a more "mechanical" grip at the front and back ends of the flats. It is a more positive grip with the two fingers when pressing the relatively stiff "high beam" button with your thumb.

However, when I grab my light, it generally gets gripped by all four fingers with my thumb on the button. When I change to the "syringe" position, I hold the light with my thumb and index finger while flipping it around to the other side of my remaining three fingers. I end up holding it right about where the tailcap meets the body.

I believe there is a similar grip that can be used with a pistol, but frankly, I would want a regular combatlight for that application -- something more positive and farther ahead than the little ledges at the ends of the flats. I grab the whole light with my fist and cross my wrists so that the backs of my hands touch when I use my pistol. I can grab any light with a tailcap button and be good to go.

So, for me, the whole "gripping the flats" argument is moot. What it comes down to is my aesthetic preference for shooth edges. The flats aren't that bad though.

Scott

cy

Flashaholic
personal preferance. I've got both and prefer square edges. more positive solid feel.

when I think Surefire, I think agressive knurling with non slip grip. new round sides don't feel as secure.

they both probably are equaly secure...

JanCPF

Enlightened
All my old style E bodies have 3 flat sides - not 4??? Isn't it 3 flat sides? Or do I have some unique bodies?

Jan

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire started with no flats, then three flats, then in some cases four flats, and now three-curved.
It's all part of the evolution that is SureFire.

AlanS

Newly Enlightened
Guess I'll stick with the flat sided light. Too much hassle trying to exchange it, and when I look at the way I grip the light (loosely, with my fingers only slightly curved) I think the one I've got might serve my needs marginally better.

I appreciate all the input!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I like the square body better for SF 2 cell lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer both the looks and feel of the rounder bodies.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AlanS said:
For aesthetic reasons, or do you find some practical benefit?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just personal preference, but the square body does feel a little more secure in the hand, especially while using a cigar grip. I enjoy the square body of my C3 because it works better with the combat grip, IMO.
However, if I were to carry a light that takes C or D cells, I would prefer a round body because of the diameter and position in the hand.
But on smaller lights that take AA, CR123, etc, round bodies just don't give me as much confidence from them slipping out of my hand. I don't think it is aesthetics, because my round minimag looks better than most of my square bodies. I'm not even sure that it is ergonomics; I think the square bodies just feel more secure in the hand for the grips I use most. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Photonian

Newly Enlightened
I recently acquired an E1e Roundy... it sucks. Too much turd polishing going on at Surefire. Bring back the flats.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Too much turd polishing going on at Surefire. . ."

Huh.

Well, jagged truds to those who want them, I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I have a round 9P. Love it for the aesthetics. Round and curvy in all the right ways and places just like any of the SI swimsuit models.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon11.gif

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlightboy,

Yes: bright, well-built, and curvy in just the right places; easy to "activate." The perfect . . . um . . . flashlight.

I love my old 6P and 3P. I don't know a lot about flashlight history, but I think it was the old 6P (the Laser Products Sure*Fire 6P) that put them on the map in the first place.

I would be curious to know the reasons for the various ergonomic shifts over the years. Was it changing consumer aesthetic preference? Changing market, say, from law enforcement only to more military?

To me, the ideal would be something like the Gladius -- smooth all over, but with the flanges to provide a rock-solid grip. I really don't like relying on high-friction surfaces.

Scott

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I'm not sure that the knurling on a Surefire does offer the greatest grip and wonder if extensive testing has been done to identify if this does indeed offer any benefits over other types of surface.

One thing that does strike me is that the aggressive knurling can and does damage pocket,pouches etc. It also seems (to me at least) to be where the HA111 wears quickest?

Doug

astrogrub

Newly Enlightened
When the first A2's came out I didn't like the flats.

The whole light had the look of something that just 'cause you could do some fancy CNCing doesn't mean you should. Over time the look and feel has grown on me so now either way is ok.

Perhaps the newer rounded bodies leave more material (external) such that the interiors can be bored out for some kind of Pila although something would also have to be done w/that inner ring near the tail cap threads.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Much prefer flat sides for "syringe" grip with TC pressed against palm. More secure than rounded sides.

Brightnorm