Removing the retaining ring from a bare Lux?

AlphalphaPB

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. I'd like to stick a Lux3 into a spare E2e head, but the hole in the head looks to be about 6mm, roughly the same size as the dome on the emitter. Is there any way I can remove the black retaining ring from the Luxeon without destroying it? Even if I can do so, is the base of the bare emitter the same size as the lowest part of the dome (~6mm)?

Thanks.

red_robby

Enlightened
you'd be better off making the hole in the E2e head bigger, the black ring on the lux keeps it together.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
sometimes i WISH that could be done.
this here broke one, which is a red 1W one from when they first came out.
the dome is 5.5mm the plastic (ring) the black part is 8.0-8.2mm.
the metal plate under the thing is 6mm about the same as the dome itself. the WIRES run through the ring thing.
once the black ring is removed there is Little to HOLD the dome on, being glued around the ring, and on the base thing.

so , from that i would make these assumptions.
the wires are going to be in the way
the thing is going to fall apart easily or instantally
the DIFFERENCE between the dome size and the ring isnt doodley.
The metal base is almost as big as the ring.
its not worth it in any way.

the faux luxeons made in china and taiwan, dont have the same base stuff, so they stick up further with less in the way, but i really think they are not as good. but for sticking up further with less in the way, and not having BLACK around them.
what dummy trying to reach Max Lux/watt ratios blows .1% of it out into a Black hunk of plastic anyways, when they coulda put clear or reflective there.

No luxeons were harmed to provide this info, that werent already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
It's easy to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif you'll end up with a dead Lux, though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif and, yes, I do speak from experience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dome is actually 5.6mm dia (according to the LL docs) and I have put the dome through a hole 5.7mm dia - tight but fits.

The black body, IIRC, is 8mm, so you have over 1mm all the way around to play with -plenty of room. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif OK, so it is a little tight.

The key is to find a reflector that you can just bump the black body up to the back and be in focus, or slowly remove the back of the reflector until you are at the right spot. I know - easier said than done.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
It is advisable to change the part the Luxeon must fit Into, rather than change the Luxeon.