My Inova T4 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok... I'm totally Blown away.... I've had "cool" flashlights all my life and this one totally takes the cake!!!
Inova truly held up their name this time! (Inova = New, innovative, cutting edge technology)... Wow!!
First let me give credit to Pocketlights.com, where I purchased this. While everyone else was up to 2 more months backordered before delivery, he had it in stock! Not only that, but it was at my house in two days after ordering!
Normally I"m a tough customer, if I"m disappointed... not too much mercy in my reviews for poor business tactics, but this little flashlight has stolen my heart!!
I originally got interested in this light because of the luxeon bulb "brightest LED on earth" and the Lithium Ion battery charging system. - No more dealing with memory affected failing batteries I can never trust because I don't use my light enough!

Where can I start?.... I guess the top.... the whole unit is finely machined Black Anodized aluminum with acute detail to accuracy inside and out, "not like the cheap Chinese flashlights I've tried in the past!"

1. The Front bright aluminum chrome colored ring is machine threaded, "not shown in most pictures on the net I noticed!" which protects the thick lens and is very attractive. The Lens underneath has a perfectly flat surface like window glass, but looking inside the lense, it "looks" round? Its quality reminds me of a lense of a fine Nikon camera lens.

2. Speaking of lense, this baby makes an almost laser beam brightness.... wow!- right out of the box without a charge! I was totally impressed! And don't bother trying to see if you can look in it "eyes open" with it on.... unless your stupid, or you'll be sorry!
I also have a 3 watt flashlight "the MXDL" and with your eyes closed "the only way you can do it!", I point it in my face and the Inova T4 seems about 3 times brighter, maybe even 4 to 5 times? When walking outside at night to shine off in the distance and comparing... there is none!
I used to work the streets as a paramedic and this light will definitely blind an assailant if needed.... even in a lighted room... none the less at night!!! I can't imagine the 5 watt luxeon is brighter?.... maybe it is, I would like some feedback, but you will be replacing batteries all the time too? With all that, and this little unit is only 8 inches long.

3. The 5 Watt Luxeon Star LED Hand torch is the only real competition. But with that light if you want rechargeable, you have to find a RCR-123A charger and take out the batteries etc to maintain a full charge. (Another 40.00) With the Inova T4, you just pop it in the cool bracket that charges it! You also have to deal with 2 batteries instead of one, plus buy the charger!
I finally did found a charger that would charge the RCA-123-A's "required in the 5Watt Luxeon" http://www.batteryprice.com/index.asp?=VIEWPROD&ProdID=59 & http://www.megabatteries.com/item_details.asp?id=11682&cat_id=27, but warning!, the batteries are only 700ma batterys each at 3.2 volts?.. the Inova T-4 comes with a 2100ma battery at 3.7 volts! Anyway, enough about the competitor! I'm sure this is only the beginning of the Luxeon/Lithium Ion marriages, but for now, the Inova T-4 is the "cats meow!"

4. I don't have a light meter, but it's a very solid beam that is perfectly round... even at a distance!
1 Foot away. the beam is about 3 inches in diameter, 5 Feet away.. the beam is about 1 Foot in diameter and 30 feet away, is about 5 foot in diameter. The color of the beam appears almost tinged as blue white, but is so intense... mostly appears as white. I walked outside at night... wow!... It advertises a beam that can see 300ft. Well they are right!... I'm quite sure I could spot a man dressed in black in someones back yard at 300ft!

5. The switch is a solid nice rubber feel, and feels as if it will last a lifetime.

6. The battery endcap that unscrews, is fine machine thread and inside is the single Lithium Ion battery. For those who care, the specs are 3.7Volt . @ 2100MAH. If you multiply the two together, you get real usable wattage.....7.77Watt/hours of battery life! Compared to the competition, you would be using two of the 700mah batteries at 3.2 volts 1400mAH X 3.2v = 4.48 Watt/hours You get almost twice the burn time with the Inova T-4!

7. Next the charger. It comes with Auto adapter and wall adapter for the charger. The charger is wall mountable with nice firm double roller clamps with Gold looking electrical contacts. The light fits very firmly, but comes out easily with a firm grip. The Clamp/charger has a nice Blue LED when charging.

You can tell every tiny detail of this light was well thought out by Inova with attention to total excellence and detail. Well worth the money! I appreciate quality when I find it.... too bad pictures are deceiving and it has to compete with all the junk out there!

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it can be left always in the charger!
Here are some tid bit notes I put for myself in my pda.
I copied them to post for you.

Weight: 6.1 oz.
Dimensions: 8.0" long x 1.1" diameter at head
Batteries: Internal rechargeable battery

The Inova T4 offers major benefits over competing rechargeables: it provides up to two times the burn time, recharges in about one quarter of the time and projects light up to 300 feet.

The Inova T4 can be recharged anytime without waiting for the battery to be fully discharged. Its battery can be recharged hundreds of times. With its performance and usability advantages, and lower battery replacement costs, the Inova T4 is the best rechargeable LED flashlight professionals can buy. It has the following characteristics:

* 100-lumen 4 Watt Luxeon LED flashlight
* Up to 300' effective range
* Power regulating circuitry provides 2-hour constant battery run-time
* TIROS™ optical system -- +90% light projection
* Aircraft aluminum body with Type III anodized finish
* Water resistant - compression sealed
* Mid-body switch: press for momentary on, click for constant on/off
* Includes charger cradle plus power supplies for AC and DC charging

Charging Operation:
The battery is charged through a port in the flashlight and so does not need to be removed.
NOTE: Continuous or frequent charging will help keep the flashlight at or near full power---there is no danger of overcharging!
* A Steady LED light "Blue" will light on the charger indicates that the battery is charging.
* When this light goes off, the battery is fully charged.
* Recharge as frequent as desired, including continuous and "top off" charging.

Battery Charging Information:
* Full Discharge to Full charge: Approx 3 hours.
* Partial Discharge to full charge: variable, in proportion to the level of discharge (e.g., a slightly discharged battery could require only minutes of recharging)
* Recharge Frequency: constant or frequent charging, at any stage of battery discharge, optimizes battery power performance.

Important Power regulation note:
Because the T4 is power regulated, it maintains a maximized level of light output over the battery charge. Instead of gradual dimming, light output will stop immediately when battery energy is spent. This is normal and does not indicate a defective battery.

Maintenance:
Once every 6 months clean the threads on the main body tube and inside the end cap with a dry cloth, and apply a thin coat of silicone grease to the threads and O-ring.
Clean the optical window with eyeglass cleaner and an eyeglass cleaning cloth/tissue.
Do not use household glass cleaners or any cleansers containing ammonia, which can damage the A.R. optical coating.
Keep electrical recharge contacts on the T4 and the charger clean to ensure efficient electrical conduction and to avoid malfunctions. Clean contacts periodically by rubbing with a pencil eraser.

Lithium Ion Battery:
* Quick recharge times (full discharge to full charge), approx 3 hours.
* Run time: up to two hours on constant, non-dimming light output.
* Zero memory effect: recharge anytime, at any state of discharge without disrupting battery capacity.
* Battery life: can be recharged hundreds of times before requiring replacement.
* Air temperature considerations: run times decrease below 32 F.
* Only use an Emissive Energy lithium ion rechargeable battery.

Replacement Parts:
* T4 Charger Cradle UPC # 671192-23015-7 Model # T4-CR
* AC Power Supply UPC # 671192-23000-3 Model # T4-AC
* International Adapter Kit UPC # 671192-23040-9 Model # T4-IK
* DC/Vehicle Power Supply UPC # 671192-23005-8 Model # T4-DC
* 10 ft Hardwire Cable UPC # 671192-23020-1 Model # T4-HK
* Lithium Ion Battery UPC # 671192-23010-0 Model # T4-BO
* Lens Replacement Kit UPC # 671192-23010-2 Model # T4-LK

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are at the beginning first reply of my novel!
ie: Specifications
Weight: 6.1 oz.
Dimensions: 8.0" long x 1.1" diameter at head
Batteries: Internal rechargeable battery

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you buy the T4? I check INova site and T4 is not there. Can you post URL where you purchase it or alternative online retailer?

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know my novel was long.. but this too is at the beginning:
I highly recommend www.pocketlights.com He currently is not the cheapest.. but he is wonderful to deal with. I would rather pay more from someone I trust than have a hassel with no phone #'s and belated email correspondence from some others!... I got my order in two days!
There is are some others who have it in stock also:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/int4taledfl.html
http://www.productwizard.com/inova-t4.html
http://www.defensedevices.com/inova-t4-rechargeable-tactical-led-flashlight.html

Status
Not open for further replies.