Gladius

Z71K9

Newly Enlightened
Got my new Gladius this week. Awesome light. It was more than I expected. The quality was absolutely superb. As this is my first all LED light (I have the A2, also), I was really impressed with the LED throw and lack of yellowish tint you get with incans.

Now I need to find a holster so, I can carry it on my duty belt.

colterbay2005

Newly Enlightened
Z71k9

I'm glad you initiated a Gladius posting....I really can't believe that there isn't more discussion going on about this light. I recieved my Gladius this week also. It is the best light on the market currently in my opinion. The only other light that can compare in terms of technology, options, and useablilty would be the HDS EDC. This light puts all my SF's to shame. The Gladius has better throw and seems much brighter than my SF L6...and the SF U2 is a good idea but it's completely outclassed by the Gladius. I am looking forward to more Night-Op Lights. It will also be very interesting to see how SF and others respond to this new challenge in handheld lighting. Well for those of you who haven't looked into the Gladius you're missing out. Oh...and did I mention that I paid less for it than I would have for a U2. Oh-yea and the Gladius is waterproof down to 50 meters...can't do that with my SF lights. Discalimer: I'm a huge SF fan so I'm not knocking them I'm just saying that the bar has been raised to a never before seen level.

There a few reviews (by McGizmo & Dano) that have been posted already on CPF so I'm not going to go into everything about this light but if you haven't heard about this light you should really take a look.

Daniel.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 on order through one of my wholesalers. I'll pay WAY,WAY under retail. Can't wait. Problem is the wholesale outlets will be the last ones in the pipeline to receive them.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Z71K9 (Canine Officer?),

What do you think about the strobe as far as law enforcement use? (Note: This question is open to all, especially Ken Good.) I have my own thoughts about it, but without ever having trained to strobe a flashlight, not having a Gladius and not having serious low light training, I'm reluctant to venture an opinion.

I'm really going to be interested to hear reports from the field about "non-consensual" use of the strobe.

Z71K9

Newly Enlightened
Havent had the oppurtunity to use the strobe feature on a suspect yet. But in theory it should work as described. If anyone else has used it in the field, I would be intrested to read your experiences.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Got my Gladius last week and I'm of the same opinion as others that the bar has been raised! I have some Surefires and I really love them but the Gladius is for now tops!
I'm really interested to see how well the Gladius's ceramic coating wears as I'm used to HA111 and the ceramic coating is a real unknown.

The performance and beam quality of my Gladius is superlative and shows just how good a reflector can work with a LED module. The switch is just so good and intuitive that I actually found it easier to get used to than reading the instructions!! The only negative thing is that I cant find is a suitable pouch in the UK to carry it in. BHI has made a pouch for the Gladius but I'll have to wait 2-5 weeks for it to get over here.

I'm waiting for revisions and new accessories to enhance the existing product but for now Night-Ops have made a fantastic start with this new light product and I'm sure that this will only fuel more and better lights from them in the future.

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
In the field:

From: http://strategosforum.com/phpBBx/viewtopic.php?t=4699&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=195

On patrol this evening, I had the oppurtunity to use the Gladius on a few car stops. I used the momentary mode on most, but had the oppurtunity to put a "strobe job" on one motorist with very good results.

Let me set the stage;

I was on patrol in a completely unmarked car complete with concealed strobe packages, no markings, non-police tags,etc. It is amazing how many people don't see a guy in uniform,shaved head and Oakleys, driving a Crown Vic that, besides the best efforts, is screaming "Unmarked Police Car!!!" Anyway, guy comes flying up behind me (50 in a 25) and gets right on my bumper and "drafts" me for about a 1/2 mile until I have had enough. I pull into the breakdown lane, he passes, I then knock him off.

The guys freaks out and starts bouncing around the interior of the car trying to find his lic./reg. data. He keeps poking his head out the window like a hyperactive nut job. "Spidey sense" starts telling me this may be a DWI or he is attempting to maybe hide whatever else he may be taking that is making him drive like such an idiot.

I approach the car drawing my Gladius and clicking the tailcap over to "Strobe" mode. I get to about his rear bumper and he again cranes his head out the window only this time he gets a face full of strobing lumens and is told to face forward and place his hands on the wheel. I could tell from the second he got "blasted" that he was completely locked in sensory "what the f--- just happened" mode. I approached closer and again activated the strobe and did a quick interview to find the operator to be just a spazzed out delivery guy trying to pack in the tips (which will now be spent on his citation...).

The funny thing was after a while, he wouldn't even turn his head to attempt a look while I was issuing the citation. He just kept his eyes fixed forward to avoid the effects of the light. First time "GO" as far as I'm concerned !

From an email:

I am writing to you in reference to the Gladius Night -Ops light that I received a week ago. I work as Police officer for XXXXXXX Metropolitan Police Department out of the South Central Area Command which is responsible for XXXXXXXX. I first came across your light at the Shot Show 2005. I had the opportunity to meet Sgt. Rod Schaeffer. Rod was very courteous and very excited about your product. I went to the show multiple days and he continuously took the time to explain the concepts behind the light and its use in police and tactical situations. I personally feel this is the finest light that has ever been produced. I brought it to work (graveyard) last week and immediately the reception from my coworkers was astounding. I showed them the multiple settings especially the "strobe" feature which is what I use 80% of the time. I could not wait to put the light to work. I used the light all night on multiple car stops and the drivers of the vehicle told me the strobe effect made them completely disoriented and temporarily blinded. After I heard that I knew this was the best and brightest light on the market. During the night I conducted multiple persons stops and immediately deployed the light in the "strobe mode" which gave me the ability to close the gap between me and the suspect almost instantaneously without the suspect knowing what just happened. This is the clearest most visible light that any of my co-workers or I have ever seen. You know its a great light when you have suspects telling me "wow" I COULD NOT SEE ANYTHING!!! This light will definitely save a police officers life one day.
So in closing you have hit the mark with the Gladius it is head and shoulders above any other product and all of my partners want a Gladius, can you offer a discounted package deal for my entire squad.

Thanks again
XXXXXXXX

TimAckerman

Newly Enlightened
I love reading those kind of stories Ken, if you have more, i (and i am sure many others) would love to hear them!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Nice to see you posting Ken. This must be music to your ears? Glad the initial rush of enthusiasm is positive.

Incidentally I figured that a few hundred Gladius's are in the wild as I've got 402 (boy is this a prized possession!)

Doug

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, what is the plural of Gladius? Gladiusses? Gladii?

Congratulations, Ken -- it looks like you have done quite a job with this light!

Scott

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Scott: Although I am certainly an influencer, this light is a most definitely a team effort.

1. Years of honest interaction with folks that go in harms way for a living

2. An intense desire to make a better product for those folks

3. Getting teamed up with a company that believed in us (BlackHawk Product Group, specifically Mike Noell), which brought the resources of design and electrical engineering to bear on a fledging concept and turning it into what is known as the Gladius.

Vaughn Baker my partner in Strategos International has closely guided countless processes to take concept to reality.

Then you have to make and distribute it. Again, we are teamed with a power entity to make that happen.

Am a very happy....Yes VERY, VERY HAPPY.

I have said it in other places, the cababilities of this light tool will change the way many encounters will go...

This is only the beginning.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ken,
Great testimonials you have cited! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif So great it has given me a bit of cause for concern. To my limited knowledge, a flashlight is not considered as a weapon unless used as a club. If the BG's use the Gladius for disorientation, could this change? I can't imagine anyone dumb enough to point anything at an officer during a traffic stop. However, a purse snatcher or mugger hiding out in a dark alley could possibly use the Gladius as an offensive tool against unsuspecting citizens?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I believe there are some tools that have restricted sales to law enforcement personel only. If the Gladius is as effective as it may appear, perhaps the strobe model should not be readily available to John Q? If the Gladius could be used with effect on innocents or LEO's by BG's, it seems we have a two edged sword here?!?! As a law abiding citizen, I have no need whatsoever for the strobe mode other than the possible use against an agressor. If availabliity of the Gladius to me also means availablity to the agressor, with both of us having legal right to carry, I am a bit concerned as to what may eventually evolve. I would hate to see restrictions against bright flashlights (in general) result should they (strobe in specific) be used effectively in criminal activity.

I challenge you to restrict your sales of the strobing version of the Gladius to the good guys, only! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Mark2

Enlightened
Don, the same question can be asked for knives, guns, sprays, batons etc.

UVvis

Enlightened
Not to go completely off topic, but I have to disagree with McGizmo's post.

Any device can be used for purposes of evil (insert Bwahaha manical laugh here) or good, dependant upon the users inclination. To limit the average person's access to tools that they may have to use in a defensive situation against a bad person with ill intent I find ethically wrong. The only arguement is that law enforcement, military will have 'need' of such objects more often than an average person is not a good enough arguement to deny its sale to an average citizen. It sets the stage that only Police/Military and bad guys (illegally acquired) would have access to such devices. This would put the average citizen at a disadvantage, which I feel is against the original intent of the United States of America (though our treatment of the 2nd amendment seems to imply otherwise).

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Don,

I doubt that the BG's would waste money on a Flashlight this good when they could use knives, guns clubs etc. Sure BG's could choose to strobe someone but some of your creations can do just as much harm with a well directed blast into the eyes?

I'd have to say that on this occasion I dont agree with your thoughts........sorry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

elewton

Newly Enlightened
Stupid question, I know, but I was wondering how it compares to a Princeton Tec II. Just how much brigher, etc.

Regarding the legalities: If criminals want to disorient people, they would make flashbangs very easily. Hell, I've done it for the laugh. It's cheap and effective.

Does it come with warnings about using the flasher? I wanted to use it on friends until people here said that it might stimulate epilepsy or similar, which is undesirable.

vhyper007

Enlightened
And as we all know, restricting items to all but LE and military will only prevent law abiding civilians from having whatever it is that is restricted.
There is absolutely no reason to restrict this flashlight to LE and military. Besides the constitutionality of the question is the practicality of the question.
Following this logic one could reasonably argue for restricting sale of the new Photon Freedom to Le/mil because it strobes brightly and rapidly.
We do not need any more restrictions. In fact, we need fewer.

Regards,
NRA life member, concealed carry permit holder, former LEO and one of the good guys.

vhyper

cslinger

Enlightened
I agree that restricting "ITEMS" is not the way to go. We just need to start sending the message that crime will not be tolerated.

Now I would have a fear if I was a LEO and I used the strobe effect and it did cause somebody to go into a seizure. Seems like this would open up a whole can of lawsuit crazyness for the department especially if the strobe effect was used on a standard traffic stop or other "seemingly" normal situation.

To all the LEO's I realize that any situation is potentially deadly and traffic stops are one of the most hazerdous things you do on a daily basis I am just looking at this from an outside devil's advocate greedy lawyer angle.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hmmm... sounds like some officers are enjoying the strobe function a bit too much IMO. As usual, with not enough details about each particular situation, I will leave it at that and trust the officer's judgement.