modded 3D mag- good for anything besides throw?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
with the huge 52 mm reflector and a lux III, a mag becomes unfocusable off the main, needle beam setting.

so how do you guys use yours?

vtunderground

Enlightened
A modded Mag has two uses: illuminating things a long ways away, and impressing people who've never seen powerful LED lights before.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: modded 3D mag- good for anything besides throw

They're not aerodynamic enough to throw, I don't think. You can use them as improvised hammers, though..

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sputter the reflector or use the UCL-LDF lens. Their runtime is awesome as well, sometimes you do need to sit it out.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

Oh man, those things are terrible. You should send it to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

A single luxIII mag reflector is great outdoors for spotting far off things, and indoors the side spill is good.

For everything else, mod your mag to use 3x20mm reflectors and 3 luxIII. Drive them with 3 NiMH cells and you have a long throwing, big wide beam light that will light up the whole tops of trees, and the sidespill is bright enough outside to light up your whole back yard!!!

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Isaac

I'm thinking of making a modded mag, but using the 3C instead.

How long is the run time on NiMH's for the 3x 20mm's (approximately?) as I might use it as a grab light for SAR.

Doug

sniper

Enlightened
Actually, good for three things: Throw is good, sidespill is also effective, and the last being if you need the "soft, flood effect", point it at the nearest wall,(doesn't have to be white) let 'er rip, and bask in the reflected effulgence of the Lux III. Much better than this: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have two modded 2D Mags, a 2D driven Madmax+ voltage regulated R2H running around 800mA. The LuxeonI coupled with the reflector make an amazing spot beam to see 100+ meters away. It throws very good sidespill so if walking around, you can see everything. The other is a 8AA nFlex variable current regulated WX1S LuxeonV. What do I use them for?

Great question! Took the 2D MM+ R2H to Iraq and it fulfilled several uses. The "walking around the medical area and spotting animals, people etc in the night" light. I could stand in the middle of the medical compound and light up the edges completely around the camp with that thing. I lent it out to the facility maintenance people so they could do their rounds at night.

The second thing it is great for is a flood light with 8 hours of runtime (NiMH 11,000mAH batteries) Take the head off, light up the area and work in the darkness for 6 hours. It is a long throw spot beam with sidespill and a flood light by removing the head. Try that with a Surefire!

The LuxeonV in a Mag gives a much larger hotspot with great throw! Add the nFlex and you have a variable output 170 lumen light that runs cool, throws far, has amazing sidespill and can be a serious flood light. Smash the thing and replace the body for $16 and time to move the parts over.

Oh yeah, people generally leave Mags alone...well at least until it gets used and they realize they have been had.

Compared to a Surefire U2, I will take the nFlex 8AA Mag for field use. Brighter, longer throw, ability to create a flood light, rechargable or available AA alkalines, same variable power, automatic shut off and people won't steal it. It is not as cool as a Surefire, it won't get stolen like a Surefire but it is mine.

Build a modded Mag, you will be amazed on how useful the thing can be.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

i modded mine already and did the months a few months back. couldn't find a use for it. also, my dad found out i spent $50 total and got really ticked off at me..so it's up for sale on the bst boards.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i used to use mine as a thing i forget name from star wars lol it was so cool on a misty night