Surefire L4 questions.......

edison

Enlightened
I just picked up a L4. Total impulse buy; I was at the PX and they had just put out a bunch of Surefires. L4 for $125 out the door; I grabbed one without hesitation. This is my first E series light. So, I have a question.

It has a three-flat body with a small clip, and a Z57 clicky tailcap. The inside of the body nearest the tail-end opening has a ridge to prevent the batteries from moving. They can only be changed by removing the bezel. Do any of the aftermarket E series 2x123 bodies have this feature?

The reason I want to know; is that I was considering selling/trading the stock L4 body and maybe the tailcap for an aftermarket one like an Aleph, VG FB2, or Balrog 2x123 body, but I like how the stock body holds the cells in. Thoughts?

JanCPF

Enlightened
Sorry for being a bit of topic, but why do you want to sell off your L4 body? Think 30 years into the future. The Surefire L4 - one of the first practical 5 watt luxeon flashlights, and from a manufacturer at the very high end. This will be a collectors item, *If* and only if it's in it's stock configuration. With an aftermarket body it won't be as much worth if anything. I know it's more expensive to buy yet another body, but you won't regret it later IMO. I would just buy a 2-stage McE2S trim tailcap for it, and never look back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. (EDIT: Until I found out that I could make this light even nicer with an E1e body and an R123 cell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Jan

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The VitalGear body holds the batteries in the same way. That's the way I have my L4 set up, as I like the bezel down carry.

I don't know about the Balrog body or the Aleph body, I have both but can't remember. I tuned the switch and always remove the head to replace the batteries.

I'd keep the body for the L4, just in case I ever needed it for something..

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edison...you are getting sleepy...you need to trade your Surefire body and switch to TrueBlue...yes...he has a new VG FB2 body with switch just for you. YES...you need to trade...now. You'll love the VG FB2 body. Trade.

Luna

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JanCPF said:
Think 30 years into the future. The Surefire L4 - one of the first practical 5 watt luxeon flashlights, and from a manufacturer at the very high end. This will be a collectors item
Jan

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't see a secondary market for flashlights as a whole. The current leds especially given that they are still very immature. In just a few years, the output of the best today will appear as feable compared to the $5 unit you will find on the shelves of grocery stores as you wait in the checkout line.

As for keeping the body, I agree. If anything, you might want to use it as a battery tube for another light engine.

edison

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ACMarina said:
The VitalGear body holds the batteries in the same way. That's the way I have my L4 set up, as I like the bezel down carry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you just saying that the batteries cannot be conveniently removed from the tail end of a VG body, or that they are held in the tube like the stock L4 body making this impossible?

There is a difference; my L4 body actually has a ridge machined into the inside of the battery compartment that physically isolates the cells from the tailcap. It is impossible for them to slam into the tailcap innards/spring if the light is dropped or subjected to the recoil of a firearm. This also limits how much the spring can be compressed.

How easy is it to remove a VG tailcap?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The VG bodies are threaded at both ends and the batteries can be removed from both the front or the back of the cell holder.

vg_fb2-gif.gif