U-bin Lux IIIs

wquiles

Flashaholic
These should indeed be very nice, but you should have realistic expectations. You might get a LIII which is barelly "U" and therefore would not be much brighter than a good "T" bin. This is what's called the Luxeon lottery - you really don't know what you will get within that BIN.

Folks here have reported that from the same bin they have seen 20% or more variation in terms of light output - that is a lot!

What light/project are you going to use yours into?

Will

Thertel

Newly Enlightened
hmm, may have to get one for a Q-III but it almost seems like overkill to but that nice of a lux into that light. I'll have to ponder it.

Thomas

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T bins with 'J' voltage put out as much as the U bins with 'K' voltage. (Using an R123)

Now if you can get the U bins with 'J' voltage, thats another story.

Jeff

ICUDoc

Enlightened
wquiles- yes I know there is overlap- I might be lucky and get a high-output U-bin!!! By the looks of some recent posts by Newbie there would seem to be pressure on Luxeon to bin more tightly- this is only a guess

I really like my Longbow Micra so my plan is to put the Ubin on a McCapsule at 1000mA
I'll let you know how it goes
xpxbx-
do you mean when used in direct drive?

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured mine with my Q-III. Either way, K bins are not as overdriven as the J bins with an R123. Direct drive may produce similar results.

Jeff

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh, the difference between the cpf optimist and the pessimist; the pessimist says the emitter will be low and the optimists says the emitter can be high. Both are right.

Sure, the U-bin emitter could be low but it would be slightly better than the highest T bin emitter and you win the brightness lottery. You could say the U-bin emitter is a super premium T-bin or a T-bin plus with attitude. That is nice to know. With odds in the U-bin favor the emitter could be in the medium range of the U-bin brightness and you would have a superior T-bin emitter. Finally you could have a majestic U-bin and have an emitter that would just shame any, lowly or premium, T-bin.

To me a lot of people seem to think the T-bin emitters are all premium. That is not true. The T-bin emitters go through the same Luxeon Lottery the other bins go though. The bad news of owners of T-bin do not want to hears is that they could have a lower T-bin. People do not want to hear that. We could call a lowly T-bin the same as a superior S-bin…right? Again, people do not like to hear that. The same Lottery works for U-bin emitters too. The guarantee of getting the brightest T-bin emitter is to get a U-bin emitter.

I haven't tried any UX1K emitters yet to see if they are premium output. They sound like something worth trying. I have managed to try some UX1J emitters and all I can say is I'm an optimist at to the brightness of the U-bin emitters! All the U-bin emitters I've tried are brighter than the T-bins.

To beat a dead horse; I'm sure you've seen this picture before.

ki_5.jpg

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Billy would you mind doing a max lux reading of those two MiniMags.
To finally bring us one step closer to the ...

cgpeanut

Enlightened
Yes please max lux reading of you can

I'm getting a UX1J and UX1L and would like to know cpfer's opinion what the best output to drive these luxeons at to get max brightness using R123's

@TrueBlue, May I ask why 550mA for the TWOH and 600mA for the UX1J?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a homemade light intregrating box and comparing the stock 550mA TW0H converter with the boosted 600mA UX1J converter I get a reading of 8% brighter with the UX1J. That is nice. For only 50mA more power and a U-bin emitter an 8% increase in light is good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

From The Last Samurai mod:

"The stock #107 light with the ARCMania SCIII converter and a TW0H emitter with a rechargeable CR2 cell put out a respectable 930 lux at one meter. The light with reflector has an intense hot spot with a decent spill light. With the new converter and UH1J emitter The Last Samurai lux reading jumped to 1350 lux. That is a very noticeable increase of light. 45 percent more light for 50mA more current and a UX1J emitter. The Last Samurai is brighter and the beam is a nice frosty white."

THE LAST SAMURAI has more information.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

Using a homemade light intregrating box and comparing the stock 550mA TW0H converter with the boosted 600mA UX1J converter I get a reading of 8% brighter with the UX1J. That is nice. For only 50mA more power and a U-bin emitter an 8% increase in light is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you got an 8% increase in output from a 9% increase in current. Sounds like the two were pretty much identical to me.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I assume bottom-of-bin brightness when looking at Luxeon binning for a simple reason - flux is binned at a die temp of 25C, which doesn't without active cooling, a feature notably absent in every portable lighting device I've ever used. Pile on some real-world heat and the charts indicate that relative output drops.