CGM Reactor Warning

owo1

Newly Enlightened
Folks, I have been reading this Forum for many months now, even tried to register once and post a letter of praise for the CGM Reactor. Could not get a password, and before long I was glad. My first reactor was great while it lasted. Two months, same batteries, over 80 hours total, on and off over 700 times, then the switch went bad. Would come on different brightness. Changed Batteries, no help. Sent it back, got me a brand shiny new one, and a note about some bad solder problems. My second on, lasted two weeks and started doing the same thing, I have to turn it on and off several times and in several positions to get bright light, then sometimes as I move it, it dims. Emailed the folks at CGM, have not heard a word. Sad part, I sent two out as Christmas gifts, and one is green, the other greener. I only use lithium batteries. Think it is time to tear mine apart and try to make a flashlight out of it. Note: neither one were ever dropped, never wet. Carried in my pocket everywhere I went.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
In your pocket.. moisture... but that shouldn't affect it. Well, things fail over time, but 2 wks is kinda short.

owo1

Newly Enlightened
Whoops, yep it is CMG, can't read it too good, my Reactor keeps dimming. Would apoligize to them at CMG, but right now not too happy with them, so don't want to advertize for them too loud, and don't want their forgivness until they really fix their switch.

NJL

Newly Enlightened
Lytham St.Annes, Lancashire, United Kingdom
Yep - I had the exactly same problem after a couple of weeks occasional use. Since I'm in the UK and to return it was not cost effective, I took the thing to bits to use the LS & optics in a 1x123a setup. Would not get another Reactor, although I do have a couple of Infinities which I'm quite happy with.

owo1

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you on the infinity's both the first one and the ultra, tough little puppies and the infinity's (all 4) still going strong after almost 2 years, just not quite bright enough light. (Hey CMG, heres an idea, Combine the Reactor with the Infinity, and you got youself a winner, and some fans).

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Reactor was pretty bright and nicely white. Had only used it a dozen or so times and then the switch failed. Have yet to contact CMG for warranty.

owo1

Newly Enlightened
Just got a spurt of motivation and fixed my reactor, I cut the ring off that holds the head together and to the tube, spread it with pliers and pulled the guts out. Found the problem is the clip that makes contact in a groove cut in the tube and then completes the circut to the butt of the batteries. Thing is either to weak to consistantly make good contact, or could be a reaction of some type between the two metals, as there was black marks in the groove where the clip was sliding up and down. Anyway, I bent the clip back into the groove, and taped it in place with electricians tape, then taped the whole thing together so it would not slide up and down. Dropped it back in the head, used channel locks to hold it back together while I taped the whole head and a couple wraps around the tube. Now I just use the tailcap to turn it on and off. Not pretty but it comes on bright every time and is now waterproof-- well as waterproof as electrictians tape gets. I did this while keeping it on the whole time so now I am blind and seeing spots. I also sent a little note to CMG to let them know what I found, begging them to fix it so I can buy a new one that works everytime and dosen't come wrapped in electricians tape. I actually suggested they build it just like the Infinity, just a screw in head on a 2 or 3 AA cell tube.

Wylie

Enlightened
Two different types of metal? Can you say galvanic response?
twak.gif
Seems odd that a flashlight would be engineered like that.
icon3.gif

Denny Francisco

Newly Enlightened
The Reactors certainly have an unusual switch that is erratic in its operation. CMG could have had a marvelous one-handed design using a conventional clickie switch near the head. Also, side-by-side AA-batteries with a much smaller head and a clickie switch would have made a compact unit that wouldn't roll, like those confounded round tube models! I would think if I intended to manufacture a new light that I would ask maybe 10-20 testers to give me feedback on how the unit worked for them, then work out the bugs before going to the market.