Heat Shrink Tubing?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem 18Apr05-01: Rough Flashlight Body

Given: A small flashlight is agressively knurled and hard anodized. The light is carried in various pockets and pouches in contact with other expensive items that are not resistant to the cutting action of the flashlight's body.

Required: Find a way to protect the other items from the flashlight while maintaining the flashlight's usability and not significantly detracting from its appearance.

Solution: Heat shrink tubing? Remove the knurling with a diamond abrasive device? Bicycle inner tube? 14 alternating coats of pretty orange and green spraypaints?

I am thinking of heat-shrinking my Surefire L2, but I don't want to damage the rubber button at the end with the required heat.

What do you guys think?

Scott

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
beezaur said:
Problem 18Apr05-01: Rough Flashlight Body
What do you guys think?
Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to invest in a G2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
for minor correction, a drill mounted sanding device can take the "edge" off of harsh machined edges. you know the ones with the multiple twines, like a wire brush drill sander. or the VERY lightweight wire brush drill thing, not the heavy wires one. course so to will the anodizing depart.

heat shrink will work good, mabey a tiny bit of (easily removed) rubber contact cement, prior to shrinking it, i have used that on a pocket tube light to protect other things in my pocket from its metal.

mahoney

Enlightened
I have heatshrink on my A2 tailcap, I had no problem with the rubber button, but I was carefull not to aim the heatgun directly at it when I was shrinking the tubing. The button comes out fairly easily if you can remove the retaining ring, so that's an option if you are really worried about it.

nexro

Enlightened
beezaur,
Done that to my L2 already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Just use a hairdryer if you are worried about melting the rubber button.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
A hair dryer on the heat shrink tube should be sufficient to do the trick. I personally use bicycle inner tubing for my E2e & E1e, and I find that its very strong and so far its been almost a year or so I think, and still no need to change it (E2e is my EDC) at all...

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys!

I have an old Surefire clone that I used a bicycle innertube on. It worked pretty well, but I don't think it will go for my L2 which gets clipped inside my pocket for carry.

I ordered some of the 1" shrink tube. I didn't realize it will work with lower heat. I'm anxious too see how this works.

Scott

dougmccoy

Enlightened
When ever I've used heat shrink on a flashlight and kept it close to my body it just seems to slowly loose its grip on the flashlight and become loose? It takes about a couple of weeks but it always becomes loose, why? Cheap heat shrink? wrong type? Your thoughts appreciated!

Doug

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen low heat heat-shrink that was textured like suede for fishing rods and tools but I can't find it now on the web. I got a piece of it as a promo at an exhibit and love it. Only problem is finding more.

-LT

AlanS

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
Cheap heat shrink? wrong type?

[/ QUOTE ]
Were you using a heat shrink gun or a regular hair dryer? Did it shrunk tight enough in the first place?

I wonder if there might be a way to adapt that liquid stuff one dips tool handles in to give them a cushioned surface. I imagine you'd carefully wrap the tail cap (package sealing tape, perhaps?) and then dip it in up to the neck of the light.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Alan,

Used a Heat Shrink Gun and it was plenty tight to begin with. Funny thing is all the other lights that I've used heat shrink on appear ok. The problem is that I've used heat shrink on an Arc AAA body 3 times now but after wearing it around my neck under a shirt it seems to expand slightly (enough for it to become loose on the Arc AAA body).

I hypothesise that the heat shrink is either reacting to body heat (possible? but unlikely) or to chemicals in sweat?

Whatever the problem is caused by I'd like to find an answer .

Doug

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
get tighter fitting heat shrink, that might do it?

i have not had much luck with rubber dips or sprays, but on the subject of dips a glow in the dark dip would be fun.
but i cant get dips to stick very well, or be permanent on many things. it sticks well to fabric and foam though, so those rubber sprays have been very usefull for other things.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was looking for heat shrink tube, I saw some that had an inner layer which melts to form a watertight seal. Maybe this would do the trick for the mysteriously loosening tube.

Scott

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Yeah I saw that as well. I'm a bit worried about what type of adhesive it is though. After all witt he demise of Arc I dont want to end up messing up such a rarity!