Does your "Sl@@p Numb@r B@d" have this problem?

LightChucker

Enlightened
Does your \"Sl@@p Numb@r B@d\" have this problem?

For about 8 years, Carol and I slept on one of those "S@lect C@mf@rt" mattresses. They are now called the "Sl@@p Numb@r B@d". You have probably seen and heard the commercials. Maybe you even own one.

If you do own one of these mattresses (for at least a few months), I would like to know if the same thing has happened to your mattress that happened to ours. To see what I am talking about, un-zip the mattress topper, and lift the topper and the foam pad away from the air chambers.

What do you see on the air chambers and foam pad? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif

The problem will be worse if you keep your bedroom cool year-round, and worse yet if you live in a humid climate. On the other hand, if you keep your bedroom hot and you live in a dry climate, you may have no problem at all.

Please post a reply to let us know if you see anything interesting there.

Chuck

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Re: Does your \"Sl@@p Numb@r B@d\" have this problem

Hmmm...dark conditions...cool temperatures...higher humidity.

You got 'shrooms growing in your bed Chuck? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif

fluorescent

Enlightened

I was at the mattress store the other day and the salesman was telling me a similar story. He said that a woman came in covered in hives. Said she was alergic to mold or something and that and it was due to the forementioned mattress.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

huh??? something Im not getting here? I know that bread turns green and blue during humid or rainy days. so mold was forming inside the air chambers of the mattress? If you are allergic too, you should sue those "Slap" or whatever people. Do they even warn you about this?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

See this story ... Select Comfort admits it's an issue. They offer a number to call that's shown at the end of the article. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Flexable PVC has faily high water vapor transmission. It's a problem with IV solution bags which are packaged in outer, less permiable bags. My water bed is probably 3" lower than when I filled it 8-10 years ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

LightChucker

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
See this story ... Select Comfort admits it's an issue. They offer a number to call that's shown at the end of the article. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PhotonWrangler,

Thanks for the GREAT article. That is exactly what happened to ours. Everyone should read this.

Unfortunately, the pictures are a little too dark to see the moisture and the mold.

Like I said in the begining of the thread, the problem will vary depending on your room temperature and the humidity.

Chuck

LightChucker

Enlightened
Re: Does your \"Sl@@p Numb@r B@d\" have this problem?

OK, here is more on our story with the mattress:

We would never have found the mold had we not had to disassemble it to move it to a different bedroom.

Inside the mattress, each side of the bed was moist to the touch. You could see that the air chambers were wet with condensation. There was black mold covering the surface of both air chambers AND it was embedded in the pores of the foam that lies on top of the chambers.

We called Select Comfort to complain. They first started the cr@p about how all mattresses had mold. I stopped to think about what she said for a moment. Then I replied that that was ridiculous. I went on to explain to her the science of the problem. She admitted that they were having some problems with beds on the west coast, because it was humid there. I told her that there is no more humid place in the United States than the Midwest where I live. She went through the business of how we needed to open the mattress every month and let it air out. She also told us the part about using bleach to clean the mold. I told her that was not going to work, but I would try it anyway. In the mean time, she sent this insert that was supposed to solve the problem. (More about that later.)

We cleaned the chambers with bleach and let them dry all day with a fan blowing on them. Then, we reassembled all that junk, and went to sleep. The next morning we opened the mattress, and the air chambers were wet again. So, every day we had to do this process of opening the bed to let it dry. That gets old real quick!

The thing they sent us was a sheet of rigid plastic mesh; about an inch thick. We were instructed to put that on top of the air chambers so that air could circulate. It didn't work. The mattress was still wet and still growing mold. And that plastic mesh had a very sharp, rough surface that would eventually destroy the mattress from the inside.

I called them back. They sent us new chambers and new foam. The same thing happened.

Somewhere along the way, I told them what the solution had to be. I told them that the only hope they had to stop the problem was to put an electric heater under each air chamber. That would warm the air in the chambers to match the temperature of the body. The source of the problem was that the air chambers took on the temperature of the cold room. The human body of course is hot and moist; the perfect recipe for condensation. They had to find a way to keep the air chambers at or above the temperature of the person using the mattress. The person on the phone seemed interested in the idea, and said she would pass that on to their technicians. So, if you ever see a heater added to these beds it was my idea.

Finally, I told them that we were tired of messing with it, and that we wanted a refund. Now here is where Select Comfort really impressed me. They refunded about 75% of our money. We had the mattress for 8 years, and they still refunded 75%! That is really fair.

Of course, it was very expensive and difficult to pack and ship all those big, bulky pieces. You have to be clever when you pack the foam. There is a LOT of foam in what is supposed to be an AIR mattress. (They don't tell you that either.) Anyway, to pack the foam, use a big, plastic bag like you would use to dispose of yard waste. Open the bag inside of a big trash can or a big box. Then, stuff in one of the pieces of foam. Here's the fun part: Stick the hose of a vacuum cleaner into the back with the foam, and try to seal the bag around the hose. Turn on the vacuum cleaner. It sucks the air out of the bag and crushes the foam. Follow this by wrapping the bag with packing tape so that the foam is held in place even if the bag leaks. We packed everything into one box. Select Comfort was surprised. They were expecting at least 3 boxes.

Chuck

Saaby

Flashaholic

Wonder if they could come up with a solution using silica...

raggie33

*the raggedier*

bleach was what id guess but im no expert but that stuff grows on vinyl sideing down here.used to scub it to i foiund bleach and water works very good.sure beats clcimbing ladders i hate heights

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder if you put one of those foam mattress toppers on the bed, maybe that would help keep the moisture away from the mattress?

I have one of these beds and I am not looking forward to opening it up to look inside.

Joel

Newly Enlightened

I've had my select comfort for over ten years now. I have noticed the same problem (mold) and replaced my foam with some of that "visio elastic" stuff similar to the Tempurpedic brand several years ago. I really haven't had a problem since.

LightChucker

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Joel said:
I've had my select comfort for over ten years now. I have noticed the same problem (mold) and replaced my foam with some of that "visio elastic" stuff similar to the Tempurpedic brand several years ago. I really haven't had a problem since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joel,

I tried one of those toppers on my innerspring mattress, but I had to get rid of it. It was making me miserable. The part of my body that was in contact with it would get very hot. I would actually start sweating! I thought I was having a medical problem, because I was sweating and chilling at the same time. I have heard that some people have had that problem. Have you noticed anything like that?

Chuck

raggie33

*the raggedier*

lol when i move this matress is going to dump.i wont miss this masstress from hell darn spings every where pokeing thru

LightChucker

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
bleach was what id guess but im no expert but that stuff grows on vinyl sideing down here.used to scub it to i foiund bleach and water works very good.sure beats clcimbing ladders i hate heights

[/ QUOTE ]

raggie,

Bleach does kill the mold, but it leaves an uggly stain. In fact, that is what the factory told us to do, but who wants to do that to their bed every few days?

Chuck

Joel

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
LightChucker said:
[ QUOTE ]
Joel said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Joel,

I tried one of those toppers on my innerspring mattress, but I had to get rid of it. It was making me miserable. The part of my body that was in contact with it would get very hot. I would actually start sweating! I thought I was having a medical problem, because I was sweating and chilling at the same time. I have heard that some people have had that problem. Have you noticed anything like that?

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck:

I have one of the "pillow Top" models so this layer goes on top of the tempurpedic pad and removes me from any direct contact from the tempurpedic material. One of the major complaints of my friends that have a Tempurpedic mattress is exactly what you've described, though. They say the mattress is much too hot. I haven't had any of those problems because of the extra layer of insulation the pillow top provides.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had considered getting one of those as I buy a mattress every few years from breaking springs and having them poke out at me, ever after rotating them. They were that cheap as a 100 dollar twin matteress, then they wanted extra for the digital read out thing and a battery backup unit to keep it inflated when the power failed.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just to set the record straight, my sleep number bed does not need to be connected to an electrical outlet to maintain the air pressure. Just to change it. And I almost never change it. No battery backup is really necessary, at least on a modern model.

LightChucker

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
Just to set the record straight, my sleep number bed does not need to be connected to an electrical outlet to maintain the air pressure. Just to change it. And I almost never change it. No battery backup is really necessary, at least on a modern model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lurker,

We bought ours about 10 years ago, and it did not need to be connected to an outlet to maintain pressure either. Like you said, you have to plug it in so the pump would work to add pressure. I guess you could deflate the air chamber without electricity, but that process would be awkward and impossible to know what pressure you stopped at.

Chuck