I need a new light, any recommendations?

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
I work as a security guard and I have been carrying a Mag 3D for years. I mostly use it when I am on outdoor patrols to light up parking areas and such.

I like the 3D for its size (doubles as a great club, just in case) and its durability (Ive had the same one for years, its been dropped, rained on, snowed on, abused, neglected, etc and still works fine)

I dislike the 3D because it eats batteries and bulbs...I would love to upgrade to a similar LED based light, or even get a good LED based PR replacement bulb, preferrably without having to spend an entire paycheck to do so.

I picked up a cheapo 3-LED PR bulb off ebay to try out, it lasts forever but its pathetically dim...

Are there any PR replacement bulbs that would be considered bright at the 100 feet range? I was looking around the net and the Epieon, sounds pretty good...is it worth the $40 price tag? Should I hold out till the EverLED becomes available? Any others around that would be good quality/brightness/price?

Other than replacement bulbs what about similar size/toughness LED based flashlights? The ElektroLumens "Blaster II" caught my eye, I like the look and feel of aluminum body lights. Most of the LED based lights I have seen look to be aiming for the 'smaller is better' market, Id prefer one that I could use to crack some heads if I had to.

Suggestions, recommendations, etc?

Thanks,
Aeryk

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the elektrolumens Blaster II, had mine a few days now and I'm very impressed with it.

The combination of a bright white luxeon star and those amazing 30mm optics really give incandescent flashlights a run for their money.

You'll get 24 hours of high brightness before it noticeably dims, it's large enough to use as a club
twak.gif
and you'll never need another bulb.

***EDIT***

You can see some beam shots here and here

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
I would love to get ahold of a Blaster II, the only problem is they are sold out at the moment, and aparently they are working on a redesign of the head...dunno when they will be available again.

Anything out there thats currently available that would fit the bill as I stated above?

Aeryk

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Aeryk,
The Epieon is most definitly as bright as the incandescent bulbs for the 3D Mag, perhaps a little more bright. Also as the batteries drain, the Epieon lights much more brightly than an incandescent. I wouldn't want to talk you out of a Blaster II, but I think that if you prefer to continue using the Mag, The Epieon is a viable solution. I recieved mine from LEDCorp about 10 days after ordering.

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
For the moment its looking like I will be ordering one of the Epieon bulbs to tide me over untill the Blaster II or another one becomes available that meets my requirements.

Thanks for the input guys.

Aeryk

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, one more question...Should I get one of those 30mm collimators from ElektroLumens? Would it work with the Epieon bulb? Would it fit in a 3D Mag? etc.

Thanks again
Aeryk

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You gotta press fit it in the 3D mag. It might work with the Epieon bulb. But I wonder if the reflector needs to be in place.

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, dunno. I guess I'll pick one up and see how it works. Its only a couple extra bux, might as well give it a shot.

Aeryk

BF Hammer

Enlightened
The reflector works as with a normal incandescent bulb when using the epieon. You still can focus the beam, still get the "hole" in the beam when the beam is openned wide. I don't know if there is any benefit to using a collaminting lens with this bulb, we'll just have to wait for somebody to try it and report.

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
I think I am going to hold off on the Blaster II till Wayne gets the revisions completed and has some more for sale. I'll just pick up an Epieon untill then, I'll pick up one of the collimating lenses as well and let you guys know how it works.

Aeryk

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some suggestions:

As you are a security guard, you are using your light daily (nightly?) and it is an important tool in your work, so skimping is not something I would recommend.

As you have already noticed, the MAG is a well built, rugged light. Some suggestions for a replacement bulb / alternative:

The Inretech Trilight. A bit pricy, but it is very nice. 3 one watt Luxeon Star lights in one head. I would recommend a 4D (or possibly a 4C Maglight if weight is an issue). The extra battery really lights up this baby! I did a review of the Trilight. In the 100 foot range, the Trilight will give you a WIDE, bright light. HOWEVER make sure that 100 feet or so is your limit. At about 150 feet, the InReTECH widens out a little too much, but that is the nature of LED's, great wide light up closeer.

As you have commented, Elektrolumens Blaster II is getting re-designed with input from LEO's. That is a Strong Statement there! So you might want to wait for his re-design.

Of course you could go with what most LEO's use, and that is a Streamlight Stinger, or the Streamlight SL-20X with a SL-35X bulb. the Stinger Series is a newer series, and the "Bad Boy" of the Stinger Series, is the UltraStinger, at 75,000 CP, and is rechargable. For an Incandecent, it gives a very bright, white light, and you never need batteries.

Using the SL-20X with and SL-35X bulb, will give you a very wide, very bright light, with about a 45 min run time. While not as much concentrated "center beam" at the center, I believe that this combo puts out more overall light, than any other rechargable.

Do some searches here for Streamlight to read a lot about them. My Next Door Neighbor is a Night Patrol officer for Houston PD, and he uses his SL-20X every night, and he depends his life on that light.

Some people turn their head at Incandecents, but you have to see the Streamlight line to appreciate it. This is NOT a mag-light light! My friend has a Stinger HP, and WOW, for a smaller light, the 40,000 CP that this baby puts out is NICE.

OF COURSE, while the reviews here for the mag are mixed, that is not the case for the MAG CHARGER. Greg at www.brightguy.com (great place, BTY), says that is one of his best sellers, and a lot of nice comments have been posted here about the mag-chargers.

Of course, you could go with a Tigerlight, lots of rav reviews about that light, with the built in pepper spray.

Also, you might want to consider a colapasable baton, if you can leagally purchase and carry one, and a smaller light. I believe Triad ASP has a Flashlight Baton Combo, that gives you a small, lightweight light, but with the flick of the wrist, you have a fully extended baton.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the MAG 3D, you will most def like the TRILIGHT

1) Longer operating time
2) Almost infinite bulb life
3) You can drop it !
4) Better color
5) Better patter

tibim

Newly Enlightened
I would say forget about LED technology in its current state. It's just not bright enough for what you need. Maybe carry around an e2e+KL1 setup for close up inspections and paperwork etc, not as a primary light, though.

I would get a Tigerlight FBOP. Or the pepperspray model if you're interested in that. The light really kicks butt and puts out a beam like no other. You have to see it to believe it. It's small and lightweight, especially the FBOP. Very durable, you can drop it onto cement from 10 feet without problems. I've thrown mine as hard as I can at my carpet(I would have done cement, except for I didn't want it to get scratched), and it was fine. The light didn't do so much as flicker. It's amazing.

The charge lasts 1.1 hrs and the output doesn't start to dim significantly until the very end because of the nimh battery. It takes 10 hours to charge it up, so this could be done while you're not at work easily.

It's such a great light, I think there's no other choice for security work. Bright, small, and tough.

Also, you might still be able to get them from Dan at Tactical Warehouse for $89 shipped(FBOP) and $99 shipped(w/ pepper spray). This is a fantastic deal and worth every penny! I love mine!

-tibim

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
In regards to the last few posts.

I work 3rd shift, so its always dark when I work...my flashlights get alot of use so a 1 hour or so battery life just wouldnt cut it for me.

I am not an armed guard, and am not allowed to carry things like batons, sprays, or stunners...the closest I am allowed is a flashlight...3-4D mags fit the bill nicely for use as a light/club.

Right now I am still debating which light will be my final choice, some of the ones that have caught my eye are:

ElektroLumens Blaster II (pending re-design)

Inretech Trilight (looks great, little out of my current affordability range)

Modding my current Mag3D (cheapest route, possibly good results)

Homemade light (little more expensive than modding, but gives some bragging rights
smile.gif
)

I also looked into the Mag-Charger, one of the other guards at work uses one as his personal light of choice...very impressive, if none of the LED options above work out this may be what I go with.

Decisions decisions...Im off to do some more research and pondering.

Aeryk

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the TriLight is a little expensive, it will be the last "bulb" you purchase for your flashlight; it will pay for itself over time and during those times that a normal bulb 'burns out' at the most worst time

I loaned one to my brother, and I am having a difficult time getting it back