Does anyone actually own a Streamlight Stinger HP?

eyeQ

Newly Enlightened
After the purchase of a great Inova T3, and a freebie Dorcy Spyder which I also like quite a bit (it's tiny, which is great), I'm now looking for my 'superlight'. Well, my "for now" superlight. I'm sure in 1 yr, I'll be wanting the next "for now" superlight. You know what I mean...

Here's what I want:
- rechargeable
- very to extreme brightness
- pocketable (even if coat pocket); let's say about 5.5" would be ideal, but 8.5" max. I.e., the Stinger HP fits the bill, even though it's on the big side.
- ideal price US$80, max about US$150.

Now, my main point in posting is that I'm looking for reviews of the Streamlight Stinger HP, but can't even find more than a passing mention of it on CPF. Specs seem like it'll fit the bill perfectly for me. But why is there so little mention of it anywhere? Is this a particularly new light? Or just too lame to bother talking about?

Can anyone tell me about their Stinger HP?

Thanks in advance from new member eyeQ.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome eyeQ to CPF! first thing's first:

take out wallet and measure with a caliper.

Write down the reading.

look at the size and revel in it! cause it will never be
that big again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I honestly like the magcharger better. i don't own an HP but
tried one out. Construction seemed better on my old MC, (14-16 yr's old) I also like the feel of the D size light then a C size, plus it's shorter. With the new bulb Mag has it seem's only a little less bright stock if at all.
I just put in a new batt stick using high rate nimh batteries and it seem's even brighter.
Also if you want to mod the light I believe it still comes with a metal reflector, and glass len's, so your setup already if you want to try this simple mod: a better batt pack, and a welsh allyn 1160 lamp I use in it sometimes, and the light turn's into a real monster. very bright, and white.
I love my MC and didn't want to make a mag 85 or other super mod, so this is just a matter of swapping lamp's
and if your wanting to improve runtime and ad a little more power with both lamps, a different batt stick.
This is just my opinion, and the HP may be able to also do a lamp swap.
Both are great light's so this is just IMHO. VDG

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF, eyeQ, and why dontcha stay awhile!

I like the Streamlight for the smaller size and lighter weight. The XT HP was my first rechargeable, and continues to serve me well, but LEDs have eclipsed its usefulness. Between the Lionheart and R123s and RCR2s, there are small lighting packages with guilt free lumens.

I still think it makes a good duty light for someone who needs rechargeable, I always have a spare battery stick charged and ready to go for the XT HP. It's a good workhorse, but not very sexy. As a superlight, I think my SF C2 with 2xR123 and P91 lamp makes bright and small!

welcome again
daloosh

arioch

Enlightened
Re: Does anyone actually own a Streamlight Stinger

eyeQ;

I had a Stinger XT and purchased the HP upgrade kit (head and bulb). The difference was rather underwhelming, in my opinion. The larger head/reflector sharpened the beam down some, but was not otherwise much brighter to me. Other CPF members have had better results.

If you are looking for a rechargeable light that is very bright, and you like the Inova T3, you might consider the newly released T4. It is rechargable, Lux LED (no bulb change), is slightly brighter than the T3, is about the size of the Stinger, and is priced comparably with the Stinger.

I don't have a T4 (yet ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif), but it seems to fit the bill based on your criteria.

Anyway, welcome to CPF!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

For an option that is on the higher end
I think you should consider using a three cell Surefire with either the P90 or P91 bulb powered by two 150s Pila rechargables.

For the light you could buy a 6P with the A19 adaptor and the P90/91 bulb for around $95 or just buy the P90 for around $80. Getting the 6P setup will allow you some flexablity to use it with two or three lithium batteries in addition to the rechargables.

The Pila will cost around $90 for two batteries and the charger.

It may be a little more than you originally wanted to spend but I think you will be pleased with the amount of light. You will be able to use it cost free after that for many years.

The P90 will work the best for around 30-40 min. The P91 works great too for around 20 minutes but you need to tap on button twice to each time to bypass the protection circut in the batteries. The amount of light from the P91 is awesome.

vhyper007

Enlightened

Hi Not,
Are you saying the 6P with a19 or 9P will take 2x168s and light up things well and with "guilt free" lumens?

Also please splane about tapping the button twice to bypass protection circuit in batteries.

Thank you in advance.
vhyper007

eyeQ

Newly Enlightened

Thanks so much for those speedy replies, folks!

Now as I'm reading them, I saying "Ha, I'm lost!" I'm reminded of the first few weeks of cluelessness when you launch yourself into any new subject. It was the same when I began my search for a dirtbike, a welder, a front projector, and most recently an embroidery machine. It meant getting to know not only the basics about the subject, but also (and this is my problem today) being able to identify a product MODEL, when the BRAND isn't mentioned! And don't get me started with the "pet" brand names. All of a sudden a Bernina became a Bernie, and a Kawasaki became a Kawi...

It was funny looking for the embroidery machine: little old ladies (seriously, I saw their profiles) were tossing around model numbers -- sans brand names -- and here I was, the smart young whippersnapper, left in the dust trying to figure out the diff btwn a 330E and a MC300. And let me tell you, mein froinds, there's a diff!

So, I'm afraid that I'm not sure what exactly the R123s, RCR2s, 2xR123, 6P, and the A19 adaptor are.

I do remember that the P60 and P61 are Surefire lamp assemblies that include both a lamp and reflector, no?

And to NotRegulated, don't think that US$90 is over my budget; I'm OK hitting the US$150 range.

Well, I'm holding off on the Stinger HP purchase for today, while I look for info on this Pila thing -- whoa, wait! OK, the Pila is a rech. battery, right!!? So NotRegulated is suggesting this: a Surefire -- some Surefire -- that has a 3 x 123 body and either the P60 or P61 head… And then using a Pila, or some Pila*S*, to power it instead of reg. Lithium 123s. Is THAT right? Ooh, I may just have gotten it...??

vhyper007

Enlightened

DaLoosh,
I tried 6P with 2xr123 and P90 and got nada. Do the batts have to be unprotected or will it work with protected 123's. Also, NotRegulated said to tap the switch twice to get protected batts to work. It supposedly works with a P90 and a P91, yes/no???
thanks in advance and regards,
vhyper007

vhyper007

Enlightened

EyeQ,
Also let me welcome you to CPF. I was right where you are now when I started lurking here. Didn't know whether to poop or wind my watch.
If I may share my "still limited knowledge" I will pass on this to you unless someone beats me to it.

R123 a 3 volt lithium batt commonly used in cameras. Very expensive unless bought in bulk from several of the many good supporters on this forum. May be had in primary or rechargeable.

RCR2 A rechargeable smaller version of the 123.

2xR123 one 123 plus another 123, hence 2x123

6P A Surefire flashlight(incandescent with 2x123) Can be converted to led (light emitting diode)

A19 An extender which screws into a 6P to make it a 9P or 3x123.
Theoretically the more batteries and higher volt bulb make for a "brighter" light but then come the modders who literally make something from nothing. It is PFM. Pure and Magic being the first and last words of that abbreviation.

Welcome aboard and hang on to your wallet as best you can. Go ahead and locate a good 12 step program in advance and enjoy your stay here.

Regards,
vhyper007

eyeQ

Newly Enlightened

Ah, thanks, vhyper007! By the way, why that name? Do you drive a Viper?

The CR123 batteries I'm familiar with, as my Dorcy Spyder and Inova T3 both use them.

So if you screw a A19 extender into the 6P body, and it's now 9P, is it now set up to accept three CR123's, **OR** three of the slightly shorter RCR2's?

And what do you use to charge the RCR2's?

OK, I also havta say that "PFM" is a gem; I can't wait to use it on my friends...

vhyper007

Enlightened

eyeq,
nope. no viper. it's a combo between viper as in venomous snake and hyper as in ADD plus I just thought it sounded cool.

No, the 123 and the cr2 are not interchangeable or if they are I dont know it.The rcr2 requires its own special charger or a 123 charger with a battery plug or slug or some such thing. BTW I just got an xo3(T3 in sheeps clothing) and it is already one of my favorite prod lights. the workmanship is fabulous.) And an aside, look on Battery Station for a sale to CPF'rs of its Wolf Eyes. I got one a week ago (9M cobra and it is more impressive than a 9P or SL TL3 IMHO.

BTW go on some of the websites and ask for their catalogs. SF has an outstanding one.

I can tell the bug has bitten you.

KOKO,
vhyper

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

vyper007,
The P91 draws so many amps that the protection circuits kick in. You have to press it on twice fairly quickly. The second time bypasses the circut and the P91 lights up.

When using the P90 lamp this does not occur and operates like using 3 lithium 123's. In fact, you really can't tell the difference in operation. The real advantage here is that the rechargable Pila 150s maintains it's power until the battery is discharged. It does not fade off like with primary cells.

I am very happy with my setup. I use the P91 all the time now. For a small light, it is really bright.
Of course you can always carry 3 lithium 123's as a backup.

JS burly has 150s for $21 each. You need two. thats $42.
You need the Pila charger. thats $43.
I hear the reintroduction of the Surefire 9P is going for around $75, a great deal. Add $25 for a P91 and you have both bulbs.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
eyeQ said:
Ah, thanks, vhyper007! By the way, why that name? Do you drive a Viper?

The CR123 batteries I'm familiar with, as my Dorcy Spyder and Inova T3 both use them.

So if you screw a A19 extender into the 6P body, and it's now 9P, is it now set up to accept three CR123's, **OR** three of the slightly shorter RCR2's?

And what do you use to charge the RCR2's?

OK, I also havta say that "PFM" is a gem; I can't wait to use it on my friends...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, eyeQ, and welcome aboard!! Just as a warning, do not substitute 3 RCR2's or 3 R123's for 3 CR123s. The R123 is a rechargeable version of the CR123, but from what I understand, it has a higher initial voltage than the CR123. People who have used 2 R123s in place of 2 CR123s have blown their lamp assemblies (and/or fried their LEDs)!! I am not an expert, but this is what I have read in other threads. I suggest you do a search on R123s for more info. Stick with PILAs for use in replacing CR123s in 2XCR123 or 3XCR123 form-factor lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I hope that this helps.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I use batteryspace.com RCR123's in my 6P with the P90 bulb. No tapping of switch necessary as these are unprotected cells. Read the threads in the battery forum re RCR's and P90 bulb, or P91 bulb. Get educated and you will really enjoy your small two cell Surefire, and these powerful bulbs. I am waiting for my C2 to try out the P91 bulb.

Bill

oklalawman

Enlightened

I have 3 stinger hps. I dont think the larger head really improves brightness as much as it does throw. Two are box stock though they may be getting ready for one of those large capacity batteries that will double the run time. My
favorite is The hp with fivemegas battery adapter. Extremely bright (brighter I beleive thanany other light discussed) and it kills all most all my other flashlights for throw. I got to admits I like it.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Hey vhyper, I think you need unprotected cells for this trick. JSBurlys older cells were unprotected, but his new ones are protected. I know you've seen this thread, but perhaps others might find it useful:

p90 and rechargeables thread

daloosh

vhyper007

Enlightened

daloosh, the unprotected cells have to be the trick. Even rapidly pressing the momentary switch does absolutely nothing.
Question. I see no distinction in the advertisement between protected and unprotected when buying the rcr123's. Do you just specifically ask for "unprotected" cells when placing the order.

I have removed the springs from the P91, tried every possible combo of head and tail tightness and nothing works from my "protected" batts.

I really want to see what this combo looks like. I will order some unprotected rcr 123's.

Thanks much, daloosh.
vhyper

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I had a Stinger HP. Never really "took" to it, and traded it for a regular Stinger.

Now I have seen the M*gcharger60 in action and want one of my own! Makes a stock Stinger or HP look silly!

But if I could afford the Pila setup, my Stinger could be great....

vhyper007

Enlightened

hello,
does the charger you mentioned charge the 150 and 168 batteries? Does it have spacer and springs included?

Thanks for your help.
vhyper