Terralux Maxstar 2, opinions?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Hi I'm hopefully getting one of these in a few days time and would like some opinions on it? Thanks

Doug

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Hi
I have one (from UltraLed) in a 2D mag and have replaced the plastic lens with Borafloat LDF from flashlightlens only because i was ordering other stuff at the time, but it does seem a bit better than the plastic onethats sent with the kit. I found the output to be OK and tint is OK, but the beam shape is intresting! bat wing like. but when its focused properly its a nice round (ish) flood,

Because the Head moves easily it often ends up out of focus I hope to sort this with some PTFE tape on the threads. I'm also thinking about getting another but would like to compare it to a EverLED.

If your looking for regulation, reasonable output and tint i think you will be happy with this. It's intresting that there is not much discussion about the Maxstar2 on here, perhaps theres more choice over the other side of the pond.

Cheers
Mark

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Hi Mark

Nice to see this side of the pond represented here (apart from our CPF moderator Al Windler that is!)

I can hopefully give you an idea about the Everled as I recently bought a couple. The Everled examples I've got are exceptionally white and the improvement over the normal colour Mag bulbs (as to be expected with LED's) is excellent. The throw is good (but remember these are only 1 watt) unfortunately the beam remains nearly as ringy as before. On one of my Mags (an original 3D with wider bore than modern ones)the beam was so poor as to necessitate the use of scotch tape to diffuse it enough to get rid of the artifacts. On the 3C the beam is pretty good if left as a spot.
As you allude to in your post I got these to replace incandescent bulbs (unreliable, variable performance and heavy on batteries)and to benefit from extended run times on ordinary batteries.

I've only recently come to the conclusion that Maglites are overlooked by many here on this forum due to their size and poor performance. However, from the point of view of utility and cost effectiveness when using LED's there is nothing to touch them, after all if something goes wrong you simply phone up the UK agents for Maglite (Burton McCall) and get replacement parts FOC. Try that with most of the other flashlight manufacturers!

Anyway hope that helps and I will look forward to the Maxstar2 arriving and post my thoughts on here.

Doug

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Hi Doug
I agree with your point about maglites, I,m just in the process of upgradig 3 AA's 2 with newbeams 1 with a ministar2 all with Krolls and B270 AR-LDF lens from flashlightlens, the newbeams give a better general light than my SF L1 on low it will be intresting to see what the ministar's like,
Mark

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Mark

The Terralux Maxstar2 arrived today. Gotta say I'm not overly impressed,(IMHO another Everled would have been a better choice) The beam on the Maxstar is only acceptable if you use a diffusion lens and then you loose a lot of light. The beam is just awful without a diffusion lens and I'm glad I'd already decided to put this into the 3D Mag which I use to take the dog out for a walk with. ~Still at least it means I can use the displaced Everled into the 2D Mag in the car!

I've got two Minimags both with Opalecs and both on rechargables............work really well. I've even resurrected a long disused AAA Mag with an MJLED which I now use for work. Pupil tests and so on. Yes it has a horrible green tinge to the beam but at least it is bright and reliable.

Let me klnow about the Ministar?

Doug

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Doug
Hmmm thought you might think that when you got it in the mag, The LDF lens works OK and the level of light looks very much the same, I tried it with out and its a bit of a joke, I'm happy with it as flood light, but for anything else it probably not much use. which is why I'm looking to stiffen up the head so it does'nt end up moving out of focus (if you can call it focused.)Terralux suggest that the odd beam shape is great for walking which seems like "we've found a benefit for a cra**y beam shape".

At £30 ish you would expect somthing a bit better, What about making a mag85 instead!!!, I've got the potted bulb which is a start (ordered in error, thought it would work in a 2D what a Twa*!!!)at least your Maxstar works

Mark

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Been thinking about a DIY Job on my 2C cell Mag. Probably get a luxeon and mag it into something better than it is now!

Doug