Infrared reveals ancient Greek and Roman writings

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Article from The Independent

"For more than a century, it has caused excitement and frustration in equal measure - a collection of Greek and Roman writings so vast it could redraw the map of classical civilisation. If only it was legible.

Now, in a breakthrough described as the classical equivalent of finding the holy grail, Oxford University scientists have employed infra-red technology to open up the hoard, known as the Oxyrhynchus Papyri, and with it the prospect that hundreds of lost Greek comedies, tragedies and epic poems will soon be revealed....

...scientists are using multi-spectral imaging techniques developed from satellite technology to read the papyri at Oxford University's Sackler Library. The fragments, preserved between sheets of glass, respond to the infra-red spectrum - ink invisible to the naked eye can be seen and photographed...."

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat huh? Makes you want to get an IR and UV light to see what is out here. I also understand that this method works for the writing son stone henge, which turned out to be tomb stones if I remember correctly from the articles.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Infrared reveals ancient Greek and Roman writi

I brought this up to a colleague of mine who teaches Greek and Roman mythology. It's astounding the things we're finding out right now. .