giving back

moseyone

Newly Enlightened
Have been lurking for some time and appreciate all the great info that I have gotten from many knowledgable people on this forum.

I just bought a coast tactical light from lowes - the black one that takes 3 aaa batterys. It seems there is not a lot of info on this light so I will add my experiences.

First off I seem to be buying to many lights! Most of them take the 123 batterys and although I buy them cheap I hesitate to use them much (hard to find cheap when needed).

Also it seems my most used SF-L1 when drops out of regulation - suddenly is not very usefull except for specific apps.

So now I have the coast V2 to address these issues. I bought it to at times replace the L1 when out walking in dark areas at night (the L1 is almost perfect for the flood thats produced to light a path). The V2 seems to produce slghtly more light in a broad cone than the L1 and is a brighter white. It also throws slightly more. Using quickbeams most excellent charts I would say about 25 throw and 25 output.

When I checked the battery compartment the O-ring was broken. A trip to lowes for a 50 cent o-ring and some light deburring where the O-ring is recessed into the body cured this problem.

Upon submerging this light in a few inches of water I noticed a few air bubbles from the clickie switch when activated - but it seemed that it was only filling the gap aroung the button so I would say at worst the light is highly water resistant as there was no evidence of other leaks and no sign of water in the body.

I did a brief run-test using old used batterys which were as bright as the originals hmm?! After 3 hours I stopped the test because it served my purposes for usefullness and limitations. It seemed the light was initially brighter than my L1 and after one hour they were about the same. After 2 hours the L1 was slightly brighter; after 3 hours the V2 was noticably less bright than L1 but still much brighter than my Pt-attitude. I think after 5-6 hours it would still be similiar to a 2 or 3 led light. The L1 was not tested, only used for brief times for beam comparison.

The beam of the V2 is about 6 feet in diameter at about 12 feet with equal intensity thruout and not alot of sidespill;
more of a cone. It lights up a nice area.

The only bad things are a weak tailcap spring and no lockout, but batterys are cheap and easy if accidently left on!
It seems to be a nice usefull light for its purpose.
Also of note I compared 5 lights at 2 stores and all lights seemed to have a nice white beam.

Surefire L1, E1, g2; PT- 40 and attitude; streamlight TT-2
and others

JBL14

Newly Enlightened
Nice test. I've been wondering about the V2 but haven't really dug around for info on it. There's a Lowe's just down the street from me...