Aleph compatible head with 17mm reflector

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share this with you and also wanted to hear your thoughts.

It's no big deal and the pics are pretty much self explanatory, so...

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

The head is on an Aleph Cr2 body with a flat top McE2S. It is also Aleph LE compatible. The reflector is an IMS 17mm.

The head itself is really simple. The light engine holds the whole thing together.

Although the profile is rather funky, it does make the light a bit more pocketable. It is less than 1" in diameter and the whole light, as it is setup, is less than 3" long.

Since I'm sure that everyone is familiar with the beam of an IMS reflector, I didn't do any beam shots. Besides, it isn't dark yet.

Do you guys think that this would fill a need or do you think that making it LE compatible made it unneccessarily big?

Thanks for looking,

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I am in for one, anodised preferred /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool Tony! If the head is to be E series compatable, you will need some flare in the head anyway. If you blow off the LE, The small diameter will be able to go aft a bit more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, this one was a toss up. I'm just a big fan of the Aleph system and just can't seeem to lay off of them these days.

The light could have been a lot smaller, but I really didn't want to wind up reinventing the FireFly or something.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey Tony,

What would be cool is if you could make it a curved taper as it moves towards the head. Kinda like a hollow-point bullet, instead a stepped like that.

JMH non-machinst O!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yea, and knurl the radius too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

looks cool chop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, now you guys are going to make me have to go and take a class to actually learn how to use my lathe.

Charlie,

That is a good idea. At least it wouldn't have that funky profile.

Roth,

I thought about knurling it, but decided to go with a clean look. I might have to make a few more of these.

I just turned a retaining ring for it to hold the reflector and lens in place. Having the LE hold everything in just seemed kind of dinky to me, so I had to do something about it.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flared tube gives the best grip I've felt in a CR2 light. The ergonomics are well worth the compromise in girth. I think this light is the best small light for grab in the dark and instant high and low without having to look for swithces or use 2 hands.

You could shorten it with DD and a twisty, and the flare means no wasted space on the tail for a lanyard point. The head could still be modular, but not the LE. You already need to watch to match LEs to volts anyway. I'd like to see an Aleph head that allows candle mode. It seems it would just take a threaded section for this. But what do I know? Either way I'd get one of these.

Thanks

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yeah Tony, like Roth says, we wanna see a knurled radius...!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
think of an eseries body, right below where the head screws on. that rounded part is about a .125 radius (eyeballing).
it's a real pain to turn on a manual, and either a special jig or ground tooling is required, but at work all i have to do is punch in a few numbers and i can get any radius i want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

in fact, knurling the radius can't even be done, i was only kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
at least not with only a two axis... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

of course, if i'm picturing charlies idea correctly, it would be more like a parabola than a radius anyway.