Surefire L4 vs Surefire L4 ?

DavidTHR

Enlightened
Yes, the title of this thread is correct -- SF L4 vs SF L4.

Please hear me out.

I purchased a very early version of the Surefire L4 right after it was introduced to the market.

A very good friend of mine, who was not aware I already had a L4, just gave me a BRAND NEW L4 as a gift (it is in the new 2005 Surefire "see thru" package).

My question:

Is there any differences (i.e. beam quality, battery life, LED power, etc.) between an early L4 vs a 2005 version of the L4?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you have both, I'd think you could tell the rest of us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

and yeah, I'd call that a "very good friend":)

DavidTHR

Enlightened
Since I already have a L4 which I am very happy with, I didn't want to open the brand new L4 package yet in case I wanted to trade it for another model Surefire (I am interested in getting a L1).

Since there appears to be no reason to keep the extra L4, I will likely trade it for the L1.

Yes, he is a very good friend (he's a LEO who I have known for 20+ years -- and in fact, I gave him a Surefire E2e a while back as a backup light to his agency issued Stinger).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

akula88

Enlightened
David,
If you're not curious enought, then let go of it without powering up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

L4's LuxV tint lottery is quite broad, here's one action:
l4tints3ol.jpg

These are ceiling beamshots of L4s that I got hold of. Mine (I got around Jun/2004) is on the center. The others were relatively new (Apr/2005) and were actually the heads of M600A scoutlights.

Vortex

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the nice pic akula88. Wow the center one is horrible!! That is my biggest fear with the L4/L2/U2 You can spend a ton of dough and end up loosing the lottery too!!

JanCPF

Enlightened
I don't think the center one is horrible. Nice creamy white IMO (on my monitor). In fact I think they all look like they have good tints when viewed by them selves.

Jan

ob1

Newly Enlightened
I love my L4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif