Converting Dewalt 18V light to LED

go_two_the_light

Newly Enlightened
I have a Dewalt light that attaches to a rechargable 18V battery. Its a pretty bright light, but goes through the battery quickly. Has anyone ever converted one of these to an LED? Will any of the standard LED replacement bulbs such as the EverLED work in this?

The light is the DW919. Dewalt lists the bulb as DW9083. The bulb in the light says "BLC 60C18X Japan" on it.

Thanks!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Would be a project for sure, there is no direct LED replacements that work off of 18v you would have to engineer a solution and lugging around a 15 cell pack to power an LED light is a bit overkill IMO. Best bet is to buy a LED light that you like as a seperate item and leave the drill light as it is.

rwolff

Enlightened
I'd second that opinion. White LEDs (including Luxeons) generally run at a forward voltage somewhere between 3 and 4 volts (hence the large number of options for 3D and 4D Mag conversions). To run off a higher voltage, you need a buck regulator. Virtually all those I've seen are straight constant-current sources, with the excess voltage dropped across the regulator. If you use such a regulator with a Luxeon III at 750 mA, you'll be drawing about as much current as with the incandescent bulb (the LED would draw less power than the bulb, but the remainder would be dissippated as heat by the regulator).

One way of "tweaking" things is to run multiple LEDs in series - a "back burner" project I have (bike light - want low current drain for lightweight battery) involves 3 Luxeons in series running off a 12V battery (battery dictated by other criteria). If you were to run 3 Luxeons in series, you'd get the same current drain as for a single unit, but 3 times the light output.

18 volts is a bit of a "sour spot", since for packing efficiency 3 Luxeons and associated optics is good (3x Luxeon 1, especially with the "R" bins that are now becoming more common, gives good light output at 350 mA), and would "fit" a 12V or 14.4V power pack. You'd be looking at 4 Luxeons, which isn't quite as good from a geometric standpoint (and you can't get a quadruple optic, while triple optics are fairly common). If your drill were a 24V unit, that would fit nicely with 7x Luxeon I (treat each unit as a hexagon - 1 hexagon surrounded by 6 others).

On the other hand, if you could obtain a buck regulator that worked as a "charge pump" (i.e. draw less current at higher voltage from the battery than is run into the load), that should help extend battery life. How long does the incandescent last on a charge? My guess would be somewhat over 1 hour (750 mA bulb, drill packs are typically around 1 AH).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
todays nicad packs seem to be around 1.3Ah or 1.7Ah for the cheaper ones. Like you said it will either take a series chain of LEDs or a buck converter and in order to really take advantage of such a large pack of cells you would have to either go with 30 or more 5mm LEDs or 4 Luxeons in series, perhaps luxeon 3s. The 5mm LEDs would be cheapest but still almost require making a circuit board to connect them easily, the luxeons would end up costing perhaps 40 dollars or more + converter + cost of heatsinking board of some sort etc. In the end you have a lot of time, effort and perhaps even money involved and when they stop making battery packs you will either have to continue to repair the pack (replace individual batteries inside) or end up with an abandoned light shell with no batteries you have to jury rig some for. If you are going to go to all that trouble you may be better suited to design a light from scratch that will work from perhaps many sources including 12v SLA and make an adapter/connector to run it also from your drill battery packs.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Wouldn't a simple downboy from the shoppe (about $15?) be perfect for driving a single 5Watt Lux? That would give you a nice, flood type of beam that would be very efficient , and at about 700mA it would run for several hours (depending on battery of course).

Will

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The downboy might work as well as two others - georges80 (taskled.com) and Leddynamics also make very nice buck converters. Easily able to deal with the voltage / current available and efficienly drive single or multiple Luxeons in series or individually.

I have the same drill / charger set up and thought about this as well. This seems like a natural project for these packages.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I just chedked my DeWalt battery pack and it is NOT 18V, but actually hot from the charger it peaks at 21 volts, stabilizing to about 20 volts or so.

This means a downboy will not cut it (max. input is 16 volts). What other down converter (buck?) out there can handle the 21 (say 22 volts) peak voltage?

Will

kd9uu

Newly Enlightened
LM-317 and array of 5, 8, 10MM white LEDS w/ resistors if needed? Hunk of pre-drilled perf-board... one option anyway

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Re: Converting Dewalt 18V light to LED - Done!

Cool writeup and pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually, it amazes me still that so much of a LEDs light is projected BACKWARDS through the LED body! (ref your behind pic).

I guess it's a result of the material used to make a LED in the first place.

I read something somewhere (sorry I'm not more helpful here) that the LED bodies or dyes were going to be made using a directionally porus substance thus directing the light to travel in a particular direction instead of being randomly dispersed throughout the LED body (and backwards!!)

Good stuff with your floodlight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wquiles

Flashaholic
Re: Converting Dewalt 18V light to LED - Done!

Thanks Pila_Power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. It was a fun project for sure. The trully time consuming part was figuring out how to get LED's in the head. Once that was done, the rest was just determining what resistor to use, and then assembling everything back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will

BRubble

Newly Enlightened
Old Thread that's worth reviveing since it come's up on a Search for Best Led For DeWalt dw919:

We can now get a direct drop in Extremely Bright LED for the DeWalt 919 now from these Folk's Direct:

thefusionlite.com

We can a now get 1300, 1600, & 2000 Lumen's direct drop in buying direct instead of on EBay where they are selling these same light's at a much higher price.

I got a 1300 Lumen from fusionlite for 31 $'s includeing shipping.

The 1300 bring's the DeWalt 919 into the 21st Century and with the Flexible Neck,, it make's this work light a really Great Light now.

I hope this help's other's cause the Folk's at TheFusionlite.com have these Extremely Bright Led's for other make's of Work light's as well as the DeWalt.

Barney

Last edited: