Anybody ever been hypnotized?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saturday I was in a rush to get away for the weekend. I had an object in which I will say is very valuable to me (although very little monetary value) in which I definitely did not want to get into other people's hands. Being of the paranoid nature that I tend to be, I wanted to remove this object from plain sight and "tucked it away" somewhere without making a strong mental note where I placed it. Upon my return on Monday, I cannot seem to remember where I placed it. I only can remember that I thought it was a clever spot. Last night I tore the place apart looking for it to no avail. Now I know I could not have been too extreme in where I hid it (say up in the rafters) or I would have remembered. Now I'm 99.9 percent sure the place wasn't broken into and even if so, upon initial sight this object would not be valuable to anybody else, particularly with other objects such as lots of loose change hanging about, so I think it must be there somewhere but I'm sick of checking places two or three times over.

Anyhow, I'm actually thinking of consulting a hypnotist from the yellow pages, to see if it can jog my memory on where I placed it. Anybody have any experience in this matter? Think it could help me? I know they are in common use from trying to quit a nasty habit but I'm wondering about trying to recreate the inital scene where I hid the object. I wonder how much one would charge for a consultation. At this point if one could help me locate the object, it really doesn't matter (up to a point).

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've not been hypnotized, but I did the same thing with a check a few weeks back. I had it in my pocket and stashed it away so it wouldn't get messed up, and then I completely forgot where I put it. .

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
I tried it once but wasn't hypnotizable. Did learn some neat relaxation techniques though. All hypnotism is really self-hypnotism anyway. Some people are just more willing to let an outside "authority" guide them.

Not trying too hard to remember something usually works for me in the end. That or asking my wife to look for me. Often it's right in plain view but somehow I was overlooking it.

And it's always true that you'll find it in the last place you look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are getting sleepy..... Verrrrry sleepy.....

I have been hypnotized and I think it is mostly hogwash. You can do the same thing yourself as follows:

Try to visualize everything you did just before and after you hid the item. Try to piece together the entire chain of events. Make a serious effort of this by sitting down in a quiet place and concentrating on it for a generous amount of time. Don't get worked up about it, but do it calmly. Laying down and closing your eyes is a good idea. The stress of losing the item is blocking your memory. This process may jog your memory.

If it doesn't work righ away, sleep on it and try again tomorrow.

Another method would be to make a mental tour of your home, going through every room and every square inch of the place including floors, ceilings, walls, furniture, closets, etc. in your imagination. When you get to the spot, you will remember it. Remember to include "outside the box" areas like in your car or your place of work if you could have possibly hidden it there.

My guess is that you hid it inside of something else that normally wouldn't contain anything, such as a jacket pocket, piece of luggage or book.

It will turn up eventually. Good luck. Let us know when you find it.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurker, good advice. Yes, I think I concealed it probably inside another item. I think I will give it a bit of a rest tonight and try to quell my paranoia and not check common areas for a fourth time. I'll try your visualization tricks. I know I was in a hurry, trying to get a lot of things together at the last moment and I don't think I spent a lot of time deciding where to hide it. But I don't know in what order between packing luggage, getting Dad's rebuilt computer together etc., that I actually hid the thing.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over the years I've noticed that I often cannot remember a 'clever spot' where I put something. I guess I'm too clever for myself.

Unless you count 12 years of government schools, I've never been hypnotized.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've been hypnotized. It was kind of interesting. I learned to enter that stste by myself as part of a 'quit smoking' program. I still use the technique to control stress.

You are consious the whole time, and you are in control, but you are also very open to suggestions. Mellow's a good description, sort of like the way you become easy-going after a few beers with your buddies.

You can probably get a 'session' for $25 or so.

Daniel

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the above on getting a book or tape to do it yourself. One food for thought is to write the question down before you go to bed, then when you wake you you may have the answer.

At the community college I attended they had a demostration, but i missed it. Seemed silly that someone could get you to cluck like a chicken or take your cloths off. I understand both happened and they had to end it early as the lady was taking her cloths off at the demostration.

Negeltu

Enlightened
sonambulistic depth... hypnosis is real.. but you enter into a hypnotic state probably many times a day. You can use such a state yourself without a hypnotist to guide you. Just a suggestion here... To remember where you put things... do this:

Let's say that you hid keys under a mat in the laundry room. Imagine in your minds eye that those keys are in a heck of a wrestling match with your laundry room mat... There's clothes flying everywhere... the laundry mat all of a sudden pins the keys down and the keys are yelling.. HELP HELP.. Now... when you think of your keys or object you hid... that crazy image will pop into your mind. Memory is associative. The weaker the association the more likely it is to be forgotten. Make your minds eye pictures crazy and out of the ordinary. The mind tends to forget things that are mundane.

Negeltu

Enlightened
It's not crazy at all. Proven techniques to improve retention. I can memorize a 40 digit number using those techniques.. backwards and forwards. It is a good tool to aid memory. These techniques are very old.

chrisse242

Enlightened
Not perfectly on topic, cause it had nothing to do with finding lost things, but I've made good experiences with hypnosis. Since I had a very nasty experience with my dentist when I was a kid, I was really afraid of going there, which led me to avoid it for years. I always waited untill a filling fell out, had it repaired provisional and waited untill it fell out again.
When I fianlly decided to do something about it I found a dentist who uses hypnosis to calm his patients down, and it worked perfectly. After two sessions with hypnosis I'm now able to enter this state by myself and don't have any problems going to the dentist any longer.

Chrisse

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
You're funny raggie! Thanks for injecting us with that! You know humor is contagious! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mednanu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:Anybody ever been hypnotized?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I believe she was a D-cup...and jogging no less...