Any owner verified run times on HDS basic and L1?

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Dear CPF members;

Would any of you who own the most recent version of the Surefire L1 (the 3 watt version with more focused beam) and own the HDS Basic flashlight, inform me of the battery life times of the Surefire L1 on it's "low" setting, and the HDS Basic on it's "secondary" (2 Lumen) setting and it's "minimum" setting (.3 lumens)?

In am most grateful for any help you can offer.

Most sincerely;

FaithinGod

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Any owner verified run times on HDS basic and

The primary setting on the HDS is said by the manufacturer to give 10 hours of runtime, tho at least one CPF member only got 5 hours. The low setting was said in one review (I don't recall where) to give 40 hours. So expect somewhere between 10 - 30 hours at the secondary setting, tho thats just a broad and inaccurate guess. Hopefully someone can give you a better answer.

best regards

cslinger

Enlightened

I remember a member here saying he was up to like 70-80 hours on his L1 on low and could still get a burst of bright light.

txkaratedude

Newly Enlightened

I don't mean to hijack this thread but what's an HDS? I've read about them here but never seen one.
Sorry for the interruption, I'm just a noob here.
Thanks
Terry

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Karatedude: start here and here to learn about HDS. That first thread, and its subsequent threads, should keep you busy for about a week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I got a little curious about the original question, so emailed Henry. He states that run times (hi to low) are roughly 20 minutes, 5 hours, 20 hours, and 7 days. Now, the website says that primary (the 2nd highest level) is 10 hours rather than the 5 stated to me, so make what you will of that. Anyhow, its something to cogitate on. I've been playing with my Basic 60 for a couple of weeks and it still has enough juice to power the high level, which will drop down to primary as the battery starts to give up.

Use a rechargeable CR123, and/or carry a backup battery, and these run times become less significant because you can just stick in a new battery.

best regards

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

"...20 minutes, 5 hours, 20 hours, and 7 days..."

powernoodle,
Thanks for going the extra mile. Great info.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened

Dear Powernoodle;

Thank you for your efforts in clarifying the manufacturer stated battery run times on the HDS basic light level settings.

I am still very interested to know of more CPF members actual experience with the run times of these two flashlights, and specifically if these flashlights on these low levels DO sustain their advertised output of light level (i.e. show to be fully regulated).

Most sincerely;

FaithinGod

stringj

Newly Enlightened

I am the person that ran his L1 for over 100 hours on low and it would still light up bright on high. From my experience, the L1 is not regulated on low. Well into my test I temporarily replaced the cell with a new one and the light output on low was considerably brighter.

Jerry

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened

Dear Stringj;

Thank you very much for offering this information.

Sincerely;

FaithinGod